• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to modify ignition on Renix

profonde

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

Got an 90 model XJ. It takes long to get the car started like 2 secs. (i know that this is normal)

Will improving the coil help? (like using msd)?? if so which coil model for a renix?

Thanks

No. The RENIX ECU looks for a valid 300rpm signal from the CPS sensor AND a valid SYNC pulse from the dizzy. It can start without the SYNC pulse, but it MUST get the CPS signal.

So, the crank times are more related to the start motor and CPS than anything else. It might start slightly faster if you replace the CPS with a new unit (temporarily,) but I've gotten good reports from the field from people who ahve replaced the mains leads with new and upgraded units - since they'll allow more current to flow to the start motor.

5-90

I upgraded my battery cables and replaced the starter. Cranks and starts much faster now. So that does help.

Try these, http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/electric.html there absolutly flawless in construction, very beefy and helped my heep to start a little quicker, the lights to get a little brighter and the power windows to move a little faster. They arrived convienently the day after payment and the day of a no starting jeep from exposed copper on the negative.
Worth every penny

Besides the ignition system in these trucks have great output compared to a lot of stock units.

Back