• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CO2 Corrosive - Bad Choice for OBA??

MrSimon

NAXJA Forum User
The guy at my local Keen Gas store said CO2 is very corrosive and will eat away at my rims and tires if I use it to air up.

I already bought a cheap used CO2 tank and really want to use it, but this new info has me a bit scared.

Has anyone else heard this? Has anyone had any corrosian problems due to using CO2?

Never heard this. I don't believe it. I've had CO2 in my tires for about 2 years.

Thanks for the links - I read through them and did come basic Google research as well.

I'd say CO2 is perfectly safe .... apparently the "professional" at Keen Gas doesn't know what he is talking about.

go down about half way and see what all CO2 is in or used with....

It is an Acidic oxide so if there is a lot of humidity in your tire then you may have issues way down the line but would not be any more damaging then leaving your rims and tires unmounted out side for a while or even regularly inflated mounted on the tires...

go down about half way and see what all CO2 is in or used with....

It is an Acidic oxide so if there is a lot of humidity in your tire then you may have issues way down the line but would not be any more damaging then leaving your rims and tires unmounted out side for a while or even regularly inflated mounted on the tires...

Not exactly true ... CO2 is the anhydride of carbonic acid (think Coca Cola and sinkholes). However, CO2 will only form carbonic acid in an aqueous solution, as it's unstable otherwise.

BLAH it did not post the first half of my post....

Look at what all CO2 is used in, scroll about 1/2 way down

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CO2

humm... looks like wickipedia is wrong... the internet does lie! who can we now trust?

Edit:
Hallo. I put nitrogen into the tires of my caravan.
Nitrogen is very stable and not expanding by heat

guess you did not read the links?

Anyone who read wiki and believes it 100% is dumb. The fact that anyone at anytime can change/add to wiki pages makes it not 100% accurate. There are usually footnotes or soemthing showing what is opinion/been added but not always. If you search wiki, make sure you search google or other sites to confirm "facts"

True dat. It's gotten so when you search for just about anything, the first hit is usually Wiki. Great site for general info, but if it's really important, better double check.

If some one later refiled a previously CO2 filled tire, with very wet air, I would be concerned about internal corrosion.

Except for aircraft (extreeme thermal conditions) tires, I don't see any big advantage in either N2 or CO2. Air (at STP) is 79% N2 already.

Dryer air would be advantageous if sub zero temperatures are encountered.

CO2 reacts in a hydration reaction with water to form carbonic acid, and unreacts (just shake a bear or coke can, and then open it, LOL) to reform CO2 gas and water. As carbonic acid it reacts with metals to form metal carbonates and H2 gas. So bare, unoxidized (this might require further explanation) aluminum would dissolve in Carbonic acid.

Last edited:
You should use butane in your tires :D J/K

:eek:

Helium might be a little safer, and might give him a lift, LOL, but it leaks much faster.

You should use butane in your tires :D J/K
Never used butane to fill a tire.:firedevil I've used WD-40, and one time I used starting fluid. Do those count?

I heard that people were getting their A/C serviced down in Mexico and they were putting butane in. When they got in an accident :explosion :flame: crispy critters!

We use Nitrogen in the 28 tires on the C-5 Aircraft.

CO2 and DRY air are listed as stuff to use if there is no nitrogen.

I LOVE those buildings, er... planes! Just tires on that thing must weigh as much as my house. Next time you're in at Peterson AF Base, give me a ride!

Personally I prefer hot air, plenty to spare in this thread, LOL.:rolleyes:

Back