• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

After SYE install, stuck in 4WD - help

wolverine 00 xj

NAXJA Forum User
Put an SYE in this weekend w/ a friend's help. Driving into work this AM, I realized that it's definitely stuck in 4WD. The TC shifter lever goes through the entire shift range, but appears to not be doing anything. Before, you had to give it a bit of tug to get it into 4WD High; now it just moves into that position with no problem. We only took off the rear of the TCase, and did not mess with the shifter lever. Everything went back together just fine. Any things to check that might be a simple solution (I pray I don't have to open the TC again!).

A related question - how long can I drive on dry pavement without risking damage to the TC? If I have to open the t case, I probably won't be able to do it until this coming weekend.

This happened with me. Check the linkage on the t/case. There is a rod about 10 inches long with a clamp on it. I forgot to put the bolt back In the clamp. Hope that helps

you really do not want to drive the 231 on dry pavement... it will eventually combust due to all the bind. the aluminum housing is not designed to take that much stress... if nothing else take your front driveshaft off untill you can fix it

Part Time 4x4 is not designed for Pavement.

As dgrigorenko said, Remove the Front Drive Shaft and go 2WD until you can get to the TC. Just remember where you put the Hardware or just Tape the Hardware to the Shaft as I do.

Good Luck.

what SYE did you do on what year vehicle? i believe there were some years that the selector shaft had to be cut down

It's a 2000 XJ. I put in the Crown SYE kit from Oconee Offroad. A friend w/ a '98 or '99 just put one in and did not have to cut anything, so I'm hoping that's the case with mine.

Thanks for reminding me I can just disconnect the front DS - I didn't think of that - that'll give me peace of mind until I can get the problem solved. I won't be driving around waiting for the TC to explode.

It's a 2000 XJ. I put in the Crown SYE kit from Oconee Offroad. A friend w/ a '98 or '99 just put one in and did not have to cut anything, so I'm hoping that's the case with mine.

Thanks for reminding me I can just disconnect the front DS - I didn't think of that - that'll give me peace of mind until I can get the problem solved. I won't be driving around waiting for the TC to explode.
It sounds like you didnt re-assemble the case correctly!

I realized that I never posted up how this got resolved, so I will, in caes it's of use to somone. A mechanic friend was kind enough to take a look at the problem. Within a few minutes of assessing the situation, he suggested it might be that one of the replacement parts that came with the SYE kit might have a defect in it that interfered with the movement of the rod that moves as you shift the TC. We pulled the half dome shaped piece that covers the TC pump and out of which the rear output shaft exits the TC. Sure enough, the little cup shaped cast part of this piece was out of round, and showed signs of wear from the rod hitting it. My friend reamed that part out to remove the flaw, we put it back together, and it worked fine. We didn't even have to pull the TC apart; we just had to remove that half dome extension to the case. I notified Oconee Offroad of the problem, since that's where I got the SYE kit.

More likely would be you didnt have the shift rod in its most rearwrad position before installing the tailshaft cone.Its centers/aligns the hole while installing the cone.

Back