• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doorless Xj

ckysodkorn_xj

NAXJA Forum User
i just recently took all 4 doors off my 1993 xj. is thier anything i need to know about laws or problems? i went to the 4x4 store and he said that if i wheel it too much without doing something to this and that to those things i'll never get them back on. here's a pic of my rig. also i took the door off the hinges. so if anyone knows a simple easy way to make them slide on and off like a cj or something let me know please.
GetAttachment.aspx

My buddy ran doorless once on the street with his XJ. He got pulled over and the cop asked why he's driving with no doors. He told the cop its a Jeep you can do that. The cop said its a cherokee not a wrangler that he couldn't do that. But the no mirors part would definitely be a reason why.

I plan on cutting the front doors down on my XJ to make sort of a half door. The plan for me is to get a set of TJ mirrors (only $20 a pop at a local bone yard) and mount then to the fenders. Ofcourse I'm going to mod the doors for easy removal and I'm getting a set of BMX foot pegs to mount to the dog leg portion of the fenders too.

As for the 4x4 shop saying that your doors may not go back on, if you tweak the unibody the doors may not fit. A good idea if you are going to run doorless long term would be to get the subframe stiffiner (less than $200). That's why I plan on just cutting my doors down, to maintain some structural support for the body.

Last edited:
i just recently took all 4 doors off my 1993 xj. is thier anything i need to know about laws or problems? i went to the 4x4 store and he said that if i wheel it too much without doing something to this and that to those things i'll never get them back on. here's a pic of my rig. also i took the door off the hinges. so if anyone knows a simple easy way to make them slide on and off like a cj or something let me know please.
GetAttachment.aspx

Get ya some HD offroad engineering frame stiffeners and you'll never have a problem with that. I think the unibody stiffeners are 155 shipped. Glad I can drive to their shop to save on shipping! :D

i ran no front doors on my xj in san diego and never had a problem with cops but i still had a mirror on the driver side to keep it legal and the doors did not line back up after that

All the cops in my town in NJ know me as the doorless cherokee guy. I have never had a problem with them. Jersey is touh to get by with these things too. Im sure if a cop wanted to be a dick, he could hit you with unsafe vehicle. Just make sure you put a mirror on the hinge where the door would go.

i got a ticket in nj for driving an unsafe vehicle. granted i had no mirrors but from talking to other cops it seems that none of them know the law off hand and can probly hit u with an unsafe vehicle ticket at theyre discretion since its such vague offense

Where I live it is only required to have one mirror that can see 200 ft behind. So the inside mirror is all I need. So I have never been questioned by a cop for driving with my halfdoors installed. Of course, state laws may vary.

sweet thanks. i've been looking on the forums here and aparently doors realigning is a big topic. and looks like they can get pretty heated lol. i think here in north carolina i just need a driver side. does anyone have any feedback on the 2' economy suspension kit by 4wd.com here a link.
Code:
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=357&plID=60&partID=6973

does anyone have any feedback on the 2' economy suspension kit by 4wd.com here a link.
Code:
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=357&plID=60&partID=6973

You can order the lift parts/obtain them from the junk yard a hell of alot cheaper.

I paid $40 for a complete extra set of XJ leaf's, $50 for a set of v8 ZJ coils, and the associated hardware was less than $54. Plus I didn't pay shipping.

FYI

Doors are not structural support for the frame. doors only serve to enclose the passenger compartment. they are not parts of the frame and they do not provide structural support

I plan on cutting the front doors down on my XJ to make sort of a half door. The plan for me is to get a set of TJ mirrors (only $20 a pop at a local bone yard) and mount then to the fenders. Ofcourse I'm going to mod the doors for easy removal and I'm getting a set of BMX foot pegs to mount to the dog leg portion of the fenders too.

As for the 4x4 shop saying that your doors may not go back on, if you tweak the unibody the doors may not fit. A good idea if you are going to run doorless long term would be to get the subframe stiffiner (less than $200). That's why I plan on just cutting my doors down, to maintain some structural support for the body.

FYI

Doors are not structural support for the frame. doors only serve to enclose the passenger compartment. they are not parts of the frame and they do not provide structural support

I never said the doors were a integral part of the structure of a Jeep. I said if you flex your jeep with the doors off, the doors may not go back on properly. However flexing the jeep with the doors on would make an XJ more rigid.

It's the difference between twisting opposite corners on a shoe box without a lid and a shoe box with a lid on.

I never said the doors were a integral part of the structure of a Jeep. I said if you flex your jeep with the doors off, the doors may not go back on properly. However flexing the jeep with the doors on would make an XJ more rigid.

It's the difference between twisting opposite corners on a shoe box without a lid and a shoe box with a lid on.

My doors always went back on, even with the back part of the roof cut off.

Take a look at an XJ thats been wheeled hard with doors always on. You'll notice gaps in the doors around the top.

Its a unibody, doors or no doors, its going to twist. Even with a cage, you can watch the dash move back and forth against the cross bar.

Where I live it is only required to have one mirror that can see 200 ft behind. So the inside mirror is all I need. So I have never been questioned by a cop for driving with my halfdoors installed. Of course, state laws may vary.

x2 for Texas.:viking:

Back