• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep won't start

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 XJ with 4.0 that won't start. I went and Trouble Shot today some and came to the conclusion it's getting fuel, its getting air so therefore it's getting No Spark. We did the ole screwdriver on plug wire trick and low and behold no spark.
I ran it last about 2 weeks ago and it started ok. It has since rained pretty hard a time or two so I assume something got wet. I pulled all the plug wire and sprayed with brake cleaner to clean and dry them, still nothing. So I am ar a loss. Any thoughts?
:rattle:

Try unplugging and replugging the crankshaft sensor a few times.

Are you sure you have no spark? Hold the wire in your hand while someone cranks it over, and you'll know for sure! I'm just not quite sure about the screwdriver trick. How do you know that you are getting gas? More details will help us make sure you aren't missing something.

When cranking and turning key to start I puched the Shrader Valve on the fuel rail and fuel came out with pressure so fuel is present and has pressure. I also put a Multi Meter in the plug wire and checked to see if while cranking it gave me ANY reading and it gave me none. A last resort will be holding it while we crank but that just plain sucks

The CPS isn't the bad to change. I found it easier to remove the front driveline, then get a long extension.

why would you have to remove the front d.s.? just get a couple long extensions together and reach up over the tcase and trans bellhousing and take out the sensor. the d.s. isnt in the way at all. it doesnt matter what lift you have on the truck, the bellhousing isnt moving up or down for easier access.

Just watch when you loosen the two bolts. Make sure you remove them completely before you remove the CPS. I screwd up last time and ended up dropping them into the bellhousing. A couple of quick (VERY QUICK) cranks and then loosen the dust cover is my tip de jour.

So CPS is by on the top part of the bell housing? I will look at it next weekend

What about the Cam Position Sensor? Does my 92 have one and should I look into it?

that's under your distributor cap, two screws on the cap and voila, if you have a dizzy you have a cps

Well an update on this. I bought basic tune up parts for this and they sent me the parts for a 4CY, well before I relized this I was pulling the Distributer Cap and noticed the wires connecting the distributer to the wire harness was loose. I pushed them together and hit the key and she came to life immediatly. I feel stupid I missed this so many times but glad it was a simple fix.

Back