• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking noise when shifting

TYphoon

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I just got a 96 XJ 5spd with 221K on it. The clutch is pretty tight and all the miles are highway. It is in amazing condition. With that said, when I shift into second, and third, it makes a "clunking" noise coming from the back of the vehicle. I am new to stick shift, I just got my license so I have been driving alot more. I have ridden a clutch dirtbike for years so I understand the idea and picked it up really quick. I have been able to make it not as bad as I have learned the tricks to shifting in my XJ. I can make it not happen but that is only when I clutch, shift, then rev it a bit higher and let the clutch out really slowly, but that is bad for my clutch. Any Ideas guys?
:wave:

You should inspect your transmission/tc mount, check for any loose/missing exhaust hanger parts, and of course inspect the driveshaft and its u-joints.

Check the springs and their mounting hardware along with the shocks.

i too have this noise i have a 99 5spd i have replaced the transmission mount in mine but the noise stilll exsist it did cure other noises though
clater from transfer case linkage and stuff
but not this i have about 1/8 turn of backlash in my rear drive shaft
the drivetrain guy at my shop says its just slop in from the transmission back and im gonna have this noise i dunno though. i too can make it not happen if i slowly release the clutch but then semis pass me when i take off from a standing stop
thinkin about adjustin the pionion backlash when i install my locker.
see if that cures it its not that anoyyin though

i too have this noise i have a 99 5spd i have replaced the transmission mount in mine but the noise stilll exsist it did cure other noises though
clater from transfer case linkage and stuff
but not this i have about 1/8 turn of backlash in my rear drive shaft
the drivetrain guy at my shop says its just slop in from the transmission back and im gonna have this noise i dunno though. i too can make it not happen if i slowly release the clutch but then semis pass me when i take off from a standing stop
thinkin about adjustin the pionion backlash when i install my locker.
see if that cures it its not that anoyyin though

That was tough to read :lecture: But thats exactly what I have. I may replace the Transmission mount like you did, how much did it cost? Can you do it yourself

A little update here folks. I just put on a Thrush Turbo Cat back (larger tailpipe, not from thrush). And I revv the engine out a little more just because it seems to like it better, and I have noticed that when I rev it to around 3000 rpms or up then shift (rather than 2000 or 2500) it does not clunk and it likes it more. Plus, with the exhaust...it sounds amazing :D

That was tough to read :lecture: But thats exactly what I have. I may replace the Transmission mount like you did, how much did it cost? Can you do it yourself

Easy job if you have a floor jack, and a jack stand would help.

There are two transmission mounts available. One is 1 1/2 inches tall, the other is 3" tall. The 1 1/2" fits 84-01, and the 3" fits 84-97.

Which one do you need? Well, mine required the 3" because I have the exhaust hanger that is part of the transmission mounting plate. As far as I know that is the controlling factor--not engine, transmission, or tc. Anybody that knows more, this is the time to jump in.

Anyway, four bolts or two bolts two studs w/nuts hold the crossmember, and the bottom of the transmission mount has four studs (at least my 3" does) that go into the top of the crossmember with two bolts that secure the top of the transmission mount to the transmission mounting plate.

Like I said, pretty easy.

Back