• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

?s about 85 xj

f-a-t-b-o-y

NAXJA Forum User
1985 auto command trac 4 door.

no id tags

what gears do they come with? i have searched and read many threads. can't seem to find a a true anwser to this question.

i have read it "could" be 4.10, 3.73..... no exact anwsers. if someone knows and could chime in, that would be sweet. thanks.

My 1985 2.8 auto 4x4 had 3.73 gears. I think 3.73 was popular for the 84-86 and they went to 3.55 from 87 on, with the 6 cyl. If you have a 4 cyl, it's probably 4.10.

Gearing
3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.

Not pertinent for your automatic transmission but my '85 2.5L 5sp came with 3.73 -- no towing package or "off highway" package.

Short of counting turns is there any other way to determine if it is 3.73 or 4.10? Mine had the 4 banger gasser, 2WD, Cherokee Pioneer, don't know which manual tranny it had, but it was manual, before the Nissan transplant.

Been meaning to count the turns for a long time.

Won't help with the general questions but mine was the Command-trac 4wd Pioneer.

The window sticker shows the 3.73 ratio to be no-charge optional equipment. Problem is it doesn't state what the "standard" ratio is.

My wife has always believed that the salesman said that it had the "towing package" with a heavy duty radiator etc. but the sticker makes no mention of a towing package or other HD components except battery. There was no hitch or electrical connection for a trailer (not sure if those are included in a towing package to start with). Unless, of course, the 3.73 IS the "towing package".

Not much help I'm afraid.

Back