• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 questions

flyingbrick

NAXJA Forum User
so i'm having a small leak on the driver's side tube on my rear xj-d44, leaks down the tire overnight, i keep tabs on the diff fluid constantly and it never seems to drop much, so i was told on this forum that the rear only had an outer seal on the axle shaft, then i went to the parts house they told me there is an inner and outer seal, can someone explain exactly where those go? and is it possible i switched the shafts and put the longer one where the shorter one goes? i have an odd vibe that i can't seem to get out. specs- 90xj, 3.5-4" home brew lift, 33x12.5x15 xterrains on 3.5" backspaced steelies, 87 xj d44, jb conversions sye,

thanks for the help!
Joe

my first couple times assembling d44's w/ disc brakes... i ran into this problem... to combat it, ive taken considerable care rtv'ing the seals behind the bearings on the axle shafts.... making sure it pressed in smoothly, and evenly while installing the shafts.... ive somewhat got them in check, i look forward to hearing how others dealt w/ this....

perfect timing, i just dug the box and bag out of the trash for you... just opened them tonight

Timken # 2689S is the seal
Timken #SET10 is the inner and outer bearing and the retainer. you need to do bearings to do the seals

so i'm having a small leak on the driver's side tube on my rear xj-d44, leaks down the tire overnight, i keep tabs on the diff fluid constantly and it never seems to drop much, so i was told on this forum that the rear only had an outer seal on the axle shaft, then i went to the parts house they told me there is an inner and outer seal, can someone explain exactly where those go? and is it possible i switched the shafts and put the longer one where the shorter one goes? i have an odd vibe that i can't seem to get out. specs- 90xj, 3.5-4" home brew lift, 33x12.5x15 xterrains on 3.5" backspaced steelies, 87 xj d44, jb conversions sye,

thanks for the help!
Joe

Unless you have a early CJ axle-you dont/never had an inner seal

Wayne

I have just ran into this problem when doing my disc brake conversion. NO inner seal only the outer seal. The outer seal goes between the bearing retainer plate and the bearings. The seal also sets the preload on the bearing. If the seal is not seated in axle right the bearing will eat itself.

When I went to the crappy AutoZone they gave me seal # 9912S, this is a cheap POS. I found a a referance to another seal # on a write up I had booked mark. I figured I would try that one. The seal was a Napa #18731. That seal worked like a charm.

Back