• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternative Trails

MongoXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,

So i was hoping to go out and test my truck with its new lift/driveline/etc with some friends. But we are wondering if there are any good trials that are open and closer to San Diego than Anza Borego. I love AB but been there many times and was hoping to try something new.

Looking for something thats not crazy difficult (no lockers required) all our vehicles have at least a 3-4inch lift and 32-33" tires. Just looking for something fun and slightly challenging that wont destroy my truck on its trial run.

-Shawn

there's a dirtbike trail right off the the 8, near Tijuana. It's more for dirt bikes, but I took my XJ out there (5", 33's) and a stock XJ for some afternoon wheeling. Mainly steep hills, loose rocks, but probably a good area to do some basic testing to see if everything works. I don't know the name, or know if it even has a name, but you should see it as you go down the 8.

I think it would be 8 East, coming from the Imperial Beach/Chula Vista area, heading east. It will be on your right. Kinda near where the huuuuge Mexican flag is in Tijuana.

Chris

ckh550 said:
there's a dirtbike trail right off the the 8, near Tijuana. It's more for dirt bikes, but I took my XJ out there (5", 33's) and a stock XJ for some afternoon wheeling. Mainly steep hills, loose rocks, but probably a good area to do some basic testing to see if everything works. I don't know the name, or know if it even has a name, but you should see it as you go down the 8.

I think it would be 8 East, coming from the Imperial Beach/Chula Vista area, heading east. It will be on your right. Kinda near where the huuuuge Mexican flag is in Tijuana.

Chris
i think you have your freeways mixed up some, the 8 runs through misson valley and out the mountains to the imperial valley, the 905 runs E/W in the south bay by the border across otay mesa by the prison and when i was growing up we went out there all the time but i dont know whats still there. you have the 5 north or the 805 north from the border but there arnt any trails that i know of there.

I don't know about closer, but there a lots of trails you could do that's not Anza Borrego.

• Corral Canyon area off of the I-8 Buckman Springs Rd exit, which has the los pinyos loop which is an easier trail, or if you're looking for something a little harder try sidewinder.

• Rodriguez Canyon / Oriflamme Canyon out in Banner.

• Valley of the Moon in Jacumba, off the I-8 in-ko-pah (sp?) exit.

• Carvacre Road (aka Lawson Peak, aka Pancake Rock) out in Jamul.

Then there's always Big Bear.

FYI, there will be a group going to the Carvacre Road Fri morning Nov 3rd. It's a pretty tame trail, but plenty of spots to play around in and get flexy.
http://www.mike-g.net/jeep/yinyang/pics/jamul/

Last edited:
Well after much discussion it looks like were going all the way out to Truckhaven. Been bustin ass to get the XJ tight and ready, looks like I might be going without ebrakes, so no parking on hills. But everything else seems set. If anyone wants to meet us out there lemme know, should be 3 trucks commin out.

Back