• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swaybar Bolts

TYphoon

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I am trying to get my discos on here. (front) I read the threads on here about how to get those buggers off. I cant do anything besides the hammer method (I am not doing this anymore) and the C-Clamp with a socket method, but I cannot find my C-Clamp :cry: I bent the left bracket about an 1/8th of an inch doing the Hammer Method :( How bad is this? What do you suggest? I dont want to rent tools. I live near alot of mechanics and could probably find a pitman arm puller, but would rather not have to borrow tools. People get iffy about that which is understandable.

if its the bottom one like im thinking this is what i did and it worked AWESOME, i got a grinder because it has little teeth to hold the bolt in place and ground the head off smooth, then i got a small socket think mine was a 3/8 drive but i'd possibly go with a 1/2" drive so the bolt doesnt get stuck, then get a washer so the nut doesnt suck into the socket, and get etiher an impact gun OR just pure muscle and bolt the nut on and suck the bolt thru it, that was the method i used and was way easier and faster then everything else you mentioned, you can just paint that spot you ground on later

if its the bottom one like im thinking this is what i did and it worked AWESOME, i got a grinder because it has little teeth to hold the bolt in place and ground the head off smooth, then i got a small socket think mine was a 3/8 drive but i'd possibly go with a 1/2" drive so the bolt doesnt get stuck, then get a washer so the nut doesnt suck into the socket, and get etiher an impact gun OR just pure muscle and bolt the nut on and suck the bolt thru it, that was the method i used and was way easier and faster then everything else you mentioned, you can just paint that spot you ground on later

Yeah, I dont have a grinder though, thats the problem. I wish i did:doh:

i got a stock height xj but i read on here about the quick disco mod for under 10 bucks...so i had to do this less than 4 months ago.
PIC-0318.jpg

Yeah, I dont have a grinder though, thats the problem. I wish i did:doh:

i'd seriously search in your chapter and see who does have one, im sure there's plenty of guys that will have one and lend it to you OR cut it off for you and help you install your disco. if they dont help you thats eff'd up and should delete their naxja account.

yup yup it takes less than 5 minutes for both and i just fold it up and out of the way.

how much is ur xj lifted?

It is not lifted at all yet, but I may be buying 2" shackles and 2" CoilSpacers this week. I just bought the jeep :roll: Yeah my buddy (bandit455) has a grinder I believe, and he is about 30 mins away. I might just go over to my neighbors and borrow his, but he is always dying to find out everything that is wrong with everything because he is a mechanic, and I dont want to know whats wrong with it :laugh3:

It is not lifted at all yet, but I may be buying 2" shackles and 2" CoilSpacers this week. I just bought the jeep :roll: Yeah my buddy (bandit455) has a grinder I believe, and he is about 30 mins away. I might just go over to my neighbors and borrow his, but he is always dying to find out everything that is wrong with everything because he is a mechanic, and I dont want to know whats wrong with it :laugh3:

heres the link to the quick disco setup, its amazing how much it helps, i' know from personal expierence, i climbed things i couldnt climb before from lack of traction. it does make things feel way more tippy though.

seriously 10 bucks at home depot and you can make what i did, just keep in mind it will squeak... not bad just you will hear it, but i dont mind it cuz i know the benefit.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257851

heres the link to the quick disco setup, its amazing how much it helps, i' know from personal expierence, i climbed things i couldnt climb before from lack of traction. it does make things feel way more tippy though.

seriously 10 bucks at home depot and you can make what i did, just keep in mind it will squeak... not bad just you will hear it, but i dont mind it cuz i know the benefit.

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257851

Thanks! Yeah I was just at Rausch Creek with some guys on here, I rode shotgun in Bandit455s TJ. There was a stock TJ that was disco'd and he got through this muddy hole that a 4.5" Lifted XJ with 33's and not disco'd couldnt get up. That was when I came home and started to get my quick disconnects on :D

see... im sitting stock height too, and this is the kind of droop i get. and i dont think thats all of it either, i might have more flex hiding some where lol

IMG_0202.jpg

my girl said i had more flex, but the camera wasnt ready... so this is what kind of flex ur future holds in stock form
IMG_0922.jpg

Yeah it is amazing what a stock Jeep can do! I want to get it up off the ground though before I go anywhere big and get some armor too.

But to get these bolts off, I should just keep PB Blasting them and then grind the head off, and tighten the bolt up until in pulls through?

dont really NEED pb blaster, but it helps i suppose, i just ground the bolt off smooth and pulled it thru with a breaker bar. it was a slow process for me lol i had an impact gun but i needed the work out lol. i reccomend getting a larger socket like a 1/2" drive cuz when i pulled the bolt thru... it wedged itself on the socket and i had to hammer it out of the socket lol

Thanks! Yeah I was just at Rausch Creek with some guys on here, I rode shotgun in Bandit455s TJ. There was a stock TJ that was disco'd and he got through this muddy hole that a 4.5" Lifted XJ with 33's and not disco'd couldnt get up. That was when I came home and started to get my quick disconnects on :D

its kinda like my snow trip =D i had new bfg mt's and this 4.5" on 33's had half life bfg mt's and he slid off a snowy hill and i drove around him cuz i didnt have a front tow point and pulled him out and up the hill :yelclap:

dont really NEED pb blaster, but it helps i suppose, i just ground the bolt off smooth and pulled it thru with a breaker bar. it was a slow process for me lol i had an impact gun but i needed the work out lol. i reccomend getting a larger socket like a 1/2" drive cuz when i pulled the bolt thru... it wedged itself on the socket and i had to hammer it out of the socket lol

Okay cool!

Well we got the passenger side out by backing up the bracket so all the force was put into the bolt. And it came free. Since I don't have the tools to do the other stuff we are going to keep on PB Blasting this other bolt, then hammer it a bit more until it works itself free

Got a torch? heat it up a little and pound them out with a hammer.

Back