• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REAR BUGGY LEAF OR COILS?...

redrider2911

NAXJA Forum User
I've been planing on upgrading my rear setup ever since i did the front so i just used a 4" add a leaf and a 4" block to match the front hieght. So im finally getting around to starting this project and i was curious wthat direction you guys think i should go. Either way, a buggy leaf or rear coil will be quite difficult do to the unibody "frame rail" or lack there of... Any input would be great. thanks

I've been planing on upgrading my rear setup ever since i did the front so i just used a 4" add a leaf and a 4" block to match the front hieght. So im finally getting around to starting this project and i was curious wthat direction you guys think i should go. Either way, a buggy leaf or rear coil will be quite difficult do to the unibody "frame rail" or lack there of... Any input would be great. thanks

buggy leaves wouldnt be hard...unless you're thinkin of 1/4 elliptical...

no such thing as a 4in AAL....

stay away from blocks...do a full spring or a spring and shackle...

Leafs are ez even with a unibody. If you can handle a square you can handle leafs.

Coils is the way to go for a buggy. Just get coil overs and link it.

I didnt explain what i got going on very well. I put the blocks on there a year ago just to get the thing level and done with until i had time to do some fabrication. now i have time so i want to do the buggy leafs or coils, but im having a hard time picturing in my mind where everything would mount up to the unibody. Does anyone have any pictures or anything of either of these setups and close ups of the mounts.

another note, this is my daily driver as well. and the front is a long arm three link + pan hard

just for my own sake... what are buggy leafs?

just for my own sake... what are buggy leafs?

the buggy leaf setup is kindda hard to explain...but just picture a typical rear leaf setup...but the rear mount on the fram side is a short piece of a leaf spring...therefor when it droops...the spring can droop, and then the "frame mount" (buggy leaf) can also flex down off the frame...just gives you a little more droop...basically allowing the spring to unload more...do a search on Pirate for buggy leaves...you'll probly find a pic pretty quick...

doin a buggy leaf setup is very simple and easy...which also means quick!

the problem about doing the 4link is that you need to have someone that KNOWS A 4LINK to do it...cause its very very very very easy for someone to botch a 4link...since this thing is your DD...i would go with a buggy leaf setup if thats your other option...buggy leaves will keep the same ride quality and stability as the factory leaf setup...whereas the 4link will envolve alot more to make it very comfortable on the street....and safe!

James

the buggy leaf setup is kindda hard to explain...but just picture a typical rear leaf setup...but the rear mount on the fram side is a short piece of a leaf spring...therefor when it droops...the spring can droop, and then the "frame mount" (buggy leaf) can also flex down off the frame...just gives you a little more droop...basically allowing the spring to unload more...do a search on Pirate for buggy leaves...you'll probly find a pic pretty quick...

doin a buggy leaf setup is very simple and easy...which also means quick!

the problem about doing the 4link is that you need to have someone that KNOWS A 4LINK to do it...cause its very very very very easy for someone to botch a 4link...since this thing is your DD...i would go with a buggy leaf setup if thats your other option...buggy leaves will keep the same ride quality and stability as the factory leaf setup...whereas the 4link will envolve alot more to make it very comfortable on the street....and safe!

James

I think that I found a good picture of a buggy spring set up (toyota not a xj)
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/hottoy/mopower/buggyleaf.jpg
This looks interesting and easy, but what is the front of the top main connected to? And can just one main leaf handle that amount of flex or would a limit strap be need?

thanks, a picture is worth a 1k words as they say.

personally I have never seen or heard of a buggy leaf setup before this thread.
there is a large source of knowledge on this site, I don't think it would be 'too hard' to come up with a really good 4link for the rear with some help.
proven, and look bitchin.

I know i can do a buggy or 4 link in the back, i am thinking of staying away from the 4 link just cause it would be hard to keep stable since i dont have any sway bars on my rig at all and i think disconnects are a pain. And you are all right, a buggy leaf is pretty simple, i think the hardest part is getting the geometry right to make sure the shackle doesnt flip over on you. I will have to make a new pack to get my 8 inches of lift because ive seen people try to use just the buggy leaf and or a shackle to create lift and all it does is push your axle forward more since its pivoting on that front mount. Does anyone know what combination of different leafs will get me 8 inches. Ive heard that you can put a whole f150 leaf pack under your main spring and get about that. I do already have the 4 in add a leaf

Rustys has 6.5" leafs.
Why do you want to be so tall? If you lowered it a bit you would get better flew?
How do you plan on running the main leaf on top?
But would this be possible on the xj since isn't your shackle off the side of the frame and not directly underneath it?

Well the buggy leaf its self = 1/4 of the whole eliptical leaf setup, i think thats what he was saying

I know i can do a buggy or 4 link in the back, i am thinking of staying away from the 4 link just cause it would be hard to keep stable since i dont have any sway bars on my rig at all and i think disconnects are a pain. And you are all right, a buggy leaf is pretty simple, i think the hardest part is getting the geometry right to make sure the shackle doesnt flip over on you. I will have to make a new pack to get my 8 inches of lift because ive seen people try to use just the buggy leaf and or a shackle to create lift and all it does is push your axle forward more since its pivoting on that front mount. Does anyone know what combination of different leafs will get me 8 inches. Ive heard that you can put a whole f150 leaf pack under your main spring and get about that. I do already have the 4 in add a leaf

Wait, wat?:wierd:

You think a 3/4 elliptical is going to be more stable then a 4 link?:roflmao:

Back