• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling AW4 out of cherokee, stripped two start bolts?

FireFly

NAXJA Forum User
AS it says im swapping the tranny for a newer one and i stripped the two star bolts on the top of the tranny. Well i have an extractor kit and a high powered drill and the bolts didnt move it all. actually fried my drill. What i am asking is that how do you remove these bolts?

If the heads aren't too messed up from the drilling effort, you could try pounding a 6-point socket on the remains of the head and see if that will catch it.
I've also heard of someone setting a cheap socket over the star head and tack welding the socket on.
If all else fails you could grind/drill the head completely off and pull the trans/engine apart enough to clear the resulting stud.
Good luck!

thanks for the info i have tried the the 6 point socket trick and i dont have a welder so thats out of the question lol. the stud its threaded in the bell housing and the rear of the engine block. would the last trick still work?

the stud its threaded in the bell housing and the rear of the engine block. would the last trick still work?
It's a bolt with a standard thread/shank and a weird star head. It's not threaded into the bell housing. If you remove the entire head the bolt shank will slide through the hole in the bell housing.

BTW--those would be eTorx bolts, just replace them with standard bolts.

Yep what a great idea those torx bolts are?????

Good Luck

Nick

thanks alot guys. thats what i figured just to take them out and replace. but what i wonder is why even have them in the first place?

but what i wonder is why even have them in the first place?
weird/entertaining similarity:
Long before I bought my XJ, I owned a '83 BMW 633-CSI. 'Had to do the clutch one summer. The 633 has an I6 with a circular bell housing bolt pattern, with 2 bolts "high" lined up with the cylinder deck. Guess what kind of bolt heads those two bolts(and only those two) are.

If you guessed reverse torx, take your prize!

i don't mind the e-torx bolts. i think they stay in the socket better for when you put everything back together. only problem i ever had with e-torx was the dipstick stud, i half spun the stud head when removing it once, but it did come out.

Back