• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans solenoid

Aquit45

NAXJA Forum User
I been having a little trans problem when it would not want to shift right some times. Whe going up hill it would shift wrong or in the morning it would not shift until 4000rpm. i hooked up the scanner and got a 700 solenoid 2 fault.Now my fluid is good and so is the filter. is this hard to fix has antbody had a similer problem? 1991 limited

AW4 solenoids are accessible by dropping the pan. The solenoids can be tested with an ohmmeter - you should see 11-15 ohms between the wiring terminal and the solenoid case (you don't even need to dismount the solenoid to test it...)

At least it will help isolate the fault.

5-90

You say "in the morning". Does that mean when the transmission gets warmed up it shifts correctly? I am having the same problem. Mine skips 2nd gear until it's warmed up. Any chance a solinoid could be temp sensitive?

When I bought my 96' the tranny was not shifting back into 1st at a stop(got it cheap). It was the 1-2 tranny solonoid and I had all three solonoids changed by a tranny shop due to bad readings on the other two. This cost me $900 then and of course I know now that this is a easy and much less expensive repair than what I had been told and thought. They charged me $250 each for the solonoids that can easily be bought now for $125 or you could possibly get them from a parts yard. This is one tranny repair that is a definite "do it yourself" repair.

Test the solonoids yourself before you go any further.

Back