• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaving Santa Barbara on a budget

juryrigjalopy

NAXJA Forum User
So I have graduated and now leaving good 'ol SB. I'm driving up to Sacramento to store the jeep on the ranch, taking the train up to Seattle, riding bicycle from Canada to Mexico, flying to Australia, riding bicycle from Sydney to Brisbane, leaving on a research cruise Sept 25th from brisbane to tahiti for 45 days, 3 weeks in tahiti, crewing on a boat from tahiti to New Zealand, riding bicycle from farm to farm (WWOOFing), then either run out of money or get deported.

Also, since I'm on a budget, I have schemed a way to get the jeep to sac without breaking the bank. AAA offers 100 miles (or 200 if I was smart and got the premium) so I'm going to get the jeep towed 100 miles toward sac then have him give me 5 gallons of gas (at least up to 2gal but usually 5gal), then drive the rest of the way. Not completely free but it will get me a headstart and pay for my AAA membership since I will not need it for the rest of the year.

How many tows you have left? In theory you can use 1, call in again and have them take you farther. Or, I'll take care of your jeep for you? (=

you do know that brisbane in 1000kms from sydney right?
1000km = a bloody long way in miles
when you make it to the gold coast give me a yell i will buy you a beer

you do know that brisbane in 1000kms from sydney right?
1000km = a bloody long way in miles
when you make it to the gold coast give me a yell i will buy you a beer

Its not all that bad of a ride, around 600 miles. I already do 50 miles per day just riding to school and work so if I were to keep the same schedule then I would be able to do the whole ride in 12 days but I plan on taking some breaks and enjoying my time. Some company would certainly be nice, Ill holler when Im in the area.

Careful what you tell them. AAA is getting picky about when and why they tow cars.

I'm just gonna pull some plug wires and tell him that it wont start.

I have schemed a way to get the jeep to sac without breaking the bank. AAA offers 100 miles so I'm going to get the jeep towed 100 miles toward sac then have him give me 5 gallons of gas . . .
It might be better to 'break down' 100 miles south of Sac. then get towed TO your destination. They might frown on dropping you at the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Also, don't go over the 100 miles unless you want to pay a bunch extra in CASH per mile.

So I have graduated and now leaving good 'ol SB. I'm driving up to Sacramento to store the jeep on the ranch, taking the train up to Seattle, riding bicycle from Canada to Mexico, flying to Australia, riding bicycle from Sydney to Brisbane, leaving on a research cruise Sept 25th from brisbane to tahiti for 45 days, 3 weeks in tahiti, crewing on a boat from tahiti to New Zealand, riding bicycle from farm to farm (WWOOFing), then either run out of money or get deported.

Also, since I'm on a budget, I have schemed a way to get the jeep to sac without breaking the bank. AAA offers 100 miles (or 200 if I was smart and got the premium) so I'm going to get the jeep towed 100 miles toward sac then have him give me 5 gallons of gas (at least up to 2gal but usually 5gal), then drive the rest of the way. Not completely free but it will get me a headstart and pay for my AAA membership since I will not need it for the rest of the year.

Thats my "Boy"......SANTA (dad)

Hate to get moral on you guys, but 100 miles = 5 gallons = $15. Gonna cost AAA a couple hundred of your premium dollars and eventutally your rates get jacked. And you'll cry about scammers causing rate increases. Won't it cost more than $15 of time to arrange this? Have fun on your trip regardless!

Depending on the setup, not everyone gets 20mpg. But, as stated dirivng most of the way would be best.

Also, they only give you enough gas to get to the nearest gas station these days. If there is a station near by, he'll just drop you there.

Good luck and have fun! My buddy rode his bike from Alaska to Chile last year and it took him 9 months.. He left 4 months ago to ride his bike from South Africa to North Africa, but he got malaria twice and there are mass killings going on in Northern Africa so he left to spend the rest of the summer in Europe.

I once had them tow me 3 times to get the xj home...didn't have a cell so I just let them drop me at phone booths (yes the NW still has a few), they never complained and knew exactly what i was doing......had to wait about 1 hr between calls tho!
Too bad about you have to do all that boring stuff right after graduation and all that. :roll: guess you'll just have to put up with it....bummer :thumbup:

Why don't you start your life after school by doing something amazing & interesting, instead? :doh: Sounds like a phenomenal adventure!! Hats off to you. :worship:

Wish you safe travels, and have a blast!
Carol

I once had them tow me 3 times to get the xj home...didn't have a cell so I just let them drop me at phone booths (yes the NW still has a few), they never complained and knew exactly what i was doing......had to wait about 1 hr between calls tho!
Too bad about you have to do all that boring stuff right after graduation and all that. :roll: guess you'll just have to put up with it....bummer :thumbup:

Well he made it to the ranch without having to use AAA, stored his jeep there and he is in Port Townsend, Wash. at this time havin fun......SANTA

Back