• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 xj overheating

93xjpos

NAXJA Forum User
i had 91 xj 4 liter auto that i smashed i starting bringing it back to life then my buddy bought it. hes having trouble with it overheating. i replaced the rad and the front clip on it we also eliminated the ac. anyway the jeep worked fine before it was smashed it sat for a year before i did anything with it. the thermostat was taken out and still overheats. he uses it for the woods and by the time he gets out and puts it in a hole hes gotta let it cool down. anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

Does the elect. fan operate?? Also check the manuel fan as well.

Good Luck

Nick

the engine fan works cause theres no shroud on it gotta watch yourself when its running lol. and theres no electric fan on it but i had one on my xj we tried before i sold it and it didnt make a difference.

One, the shroud on the engine fan helps. It forces air to be sucked through the rad as apposed to around (hard to explain). Also, put a thermostat back in it. It restricts water flow which gives it time to slowly flow through the rad and cool off. Without it the water pumps through to quickly and doesn't cool.

Also if it sat for a year there is probably build up in the block. Sounds like a flow problem. I had the same issue. Went down to vatozone and got some prestone super flush (2) bottles and put them in. Drove for about a week drained it put water in and did it again. I did the flush a total of 3 times and then a cycle of the radiator cleaner. Everytime I drained it there was nastiness that came out. After it drained clean I put a mr. gasket 195 thermo in new water pump and a bottle of wetter water. Now it never goes over 210 even in 100+ weather.

he was out here today i sent him home with a fan shroud i had in the shed and hes gonna pic up a t-stat tomorow. hes pretty sure buddy he had change the alt for him and do a few other things flushed the coolent system for him.

Back