• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter weirdness>>>>?

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Drove my 1989 XJ to work tonight and when I arrived, I turned the car off, and heard a loud hissing noise. Thought a blew a heater hose, opened the hood, and saw "smoke" coming off the starter and realized it was just spinning and burning it up. Didn't sound like it was engaging the motor, as it was not turning the engine.

Pulled the battery cable and it stopped!

I have never seen a starter just sit there and burn up!

So, I guess I need a new starter? I assume that the starter and the solenoid are one part? Anything else I should check?

Any suggestions on who has the best deal on a good starter?

Thanks,
Bob

Yep you will need a starter.. I always call around to all the auto parts stores.Sometimes I'am surprised who has the best deal.

Good Luck

Nick

Thanks for the reply.
Should I replace the starter relay at the same time? I am starting to think I need to fix the key switch, as I can start it without a key. I am hoping that the key switch didn't fry my starter. I have had no issues with it in the past........

Thanks,
Bob

If your starter continued to run after you returned the key switch to the "Run" position it means that it was still getting current when it wasn't supposed to. Cause can be a bad starter soleniod, bad start relay, bad or misadjusted ignition switch, or wiring fault.

The ignition switch is a linear switch mounted on top of the steering column. It is operated by a rod connected to the ignition lock. If you can turn the lock without a key, the problem is in the lock. You have to remove the steering wheel and turn signal switch to get to the lock retainer. Some have a screw you can remove to let the lock slide out. Others have a spring-loaded tab in the lock that you have to push in with a screwdriver or other probe; then the lock can slide out. Once you know which kind of lock you have you can buy a new one with a key that fits it.

Yep, one large lug for + power distribution, three male spade connectors: SOL, IGN, GRND.

Back