• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for a public auto auction

desertracer

NAXJA Forum User
Any ever actually been to one somewhere here in So. Cal? I'm not coming up with very good info online anywhere. I'm looking to buy a 97-01 XJ. I figured an auction might be a good place to get one cheap.

Being that I work with auctions quite often, I'll tell you, auction cars don't go for as cheap as you may think. Auction houses know what the vehicles are worth, so do other bidders, so you'll end up paying pretty close to blue book.

Police seizure auctions are the only think you might find a cheap vehicle at, but again, you're probably getting what you pay for. Auctions aren't the hidden gem secret that they used to be. You'll probably have better luck on craigslist

I have also found that Repo and Police seizure cars are usually treated badly and are more beat-up then most craigslist finds, this is just what i have found and it may not be the same anymore. (i used to work for a auction company but that was a few years ago)

I went to a couple of impound auctions your lucky if you can start them up,no way you can drive them and the prices get stupid high.

went to about 12 auto auctions when i worked for the local dealership, out of 15 cars we bought at auction we had to return 5 of them for bent frames or major bs that wasent disclosed, now most of the time this wont happen but you pay way too much for vehicles at auction, its best to just get the word out about what your looking for and let your freinds and family help ya look. craigslist is a "be careful" place to look also.

In nor cal (sac area) my uncle has found awesome deals over the years, only 1 vehicle he didnt make any money on.

I work in an Area surrounded ny used car lots. Ive worked on a couple of auction cars, I dont know after working on them that I would ever want to own one. They tend to be beat up, mis treated, unmaintained and etc... And dealing with the used car lots I dont know if I would ever want to buy a car from any of these people, They are the definiton of CHEAP and will do anything to make more money.

Just my 2 pennies. :peace:

i wouldn't buy from a used car lot. my parents bought an 03 sierra HD and it turns out the transmission was going out. 12k miles later the transmission goes out and costs them 1500 to replace it. the warranty was 12k miles or 1 year.

Thanks all. Great info.
I've been watching the ads. Definately fewer XJs out there than last time I looked a few years ago. Or people are just holding on to them now.

Check out COPART. you cant bid, but you could go to some hole in the wall car dealership and give him 100 bucks to buy one for you. good deals if you need parts or want a fixer-upper. Check out the Lambos.

Back