• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Joint Replacement

zfinger

NAXJA Forum User
So tonight I went to replace my passangers side wheel joint. Well I work at VIP, so I looked it up in the computer, 97XJ, 4wd, 4.0, NO ABS, bla bla bla. Got the part.

Pulled the axle shaft, smashed the hell out of the old u-joint, got it out, went to put the new one in...and it was too small.

I called Advance Auto, because they're open late. I give him all my info, he puts it in the computer and gives me the same damn part number. So I had him measure the axle joint for the ABS modle, and sure enough it was about 1 1/8" like I needed.

Went and picked it up, and it fit in fine. I dont have ABS, so why do I have an ABS axle? Does this mean I'm not sitting on the origional axle or shaft? It wouldn't suprise me though, because a carfax report reveiled 3 accidents.

Your computer was wrong. Or the wrong part was in the wrong box.

There are two possible axle u-joints. The smaller 260 u-joint measures about 1 1/16" and was used on earlier models. The larger 297/760 u-joint is about 1 3/16" and was used on early models with ABS, and on all later models.

So since yours is a 97, it has the larger u-joints. I don't even think the smaller joint was used on any 97+ models.

Never been able to convince any auto parts monkey that the spicer 760x was a u-joint that I needed and not a cv joint. Now I just carry the spare assembly into the store with me and if he argues I just hit him with it.

Just did both front axle joints on my 95 (about three weeks apart) and BOTH times they gave me the wrong U's. One from AZ and the other from Allied. Aparently mine is fitted for ABS but does not have it installed which seems to be the case with this production series. Go figure. :wstupid:

Before changing joints, crawl under your Jeep and measure the cap diameter with a tape measure or a ruler or whatever floats your boat.

If they measure 1 1/16, you need P/N 5-260x.

If they measure 1 3/16, you need P/N 5-760x.

HTH everyone.

Back