• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much does your mpg drop running the a/c?

bmpxj

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious how much drop in mpg others see when running the a/c.

My set-up:
2000/4.0/D30/AW4/231/C8.25/3.55/3.5" RE SF/31" PC XMT's/both axles open/174,000 miles.

I usually get 17 or 18 mpg, but with running the a/c recently I have droppped down into the 15's. I don't recall dropping off that much last year and was wondering what others with a similar set-up are getting for mileage.

Sounds about right.

If you were loosing 20% or more I think there would be a concern.

Personally, I use my 2/65 a/c system.

Sounds about right.

If you were loosing 20% or more I think there would be a concern.

Personally, I use my 2/65 a/c system.

I usually try to do that, too (4-dr), but drivers window regulator is broken and it is hard to get a good cross-draft going!

Filled up today and got 14.5 mpg...maybe time to look at the plugs. Anybody else having trouble finding the Champion Truck Plugs?

I get about 18-19 highway, AC use doesn't seem to make a big difference. Here's something you might want to look at though:
JP magazine

Mine is a Renix, 87, I have not noticed much of a drop in mpgs from my AC use, but as hot as it is this week, that might change as the AC load is way up there now.

I notice the biggest MPG difference between wide open highway, and parking lot highway, rush hour traffic mpgs.

I get about 18-19 highway, AC use doesn't seem to make a big difference. Here's something you might want to look at though:
JP magazine

Thanks...I forgot about that article. I have noticed some squealing...usually on start-up and if I put it on max a/c. I passed it off as the belt, but I'll check the pulley, etc.

is this mod tech?

I'm not asking about a stock Jeep, I'm asking about a modified Jeep and the mpg numbers will vary between the two. Is it tech..no, but it isn't OE either...but I would expect such a question from someone from Columbus (and don't say it's Westerville, not Columbus...it's all the same).

Last edited:
A/C is that what the four switches on the door do when I use them it does not seem to mess with my MPG.:doh:

Read Post #4...driver's window is not working right now...but thanks for contributing absolutelty nothing useful to this thread.

May as well fix the window. Easy to search for methods. LOL.

Don't forget though. that the reformulated summer gas reduces fuel economy. You didn't set up the question to ask if AC uses more than the windows open or AC used more than the windows closed.

Back