• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another shock question...

wheelin79cj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok...I have been searching around and realized that when I put the lift on and get ready to order shocks I will be needing to get some sort of adapter if I want to run some Bilstein 5100's or 5150's (Which by the way I was wondering if the extra cost was worth it for the 5150's) What is the "accepted" method for adapting the front.

What about the rear? I have seen mention of BPE's and if I understand correctly this eliminates the use of the factory cross bars in favor of what?

I am putting a RE 4.5" SA on the wife's 99 XJ and want to do it right and reliable the first time. If it matters much I DO plan on upgrading to a radius arm setup when the money is there. Probably about a year out.

Basically, I am looking for all the info I need to know about shocks. I am pretty well versed in four wheeling, just not really familiar with the in's and outs of the XJ's. I grew up with a CJ for years and I have a lifted F350 now. Thanks.

-Aaron

Ok, looks simple enough for the front. Any other opinions on shock type, particularly 5150 vs 5100? Is there a noticeable difference between the two? On a side note, I need new shocks for the truck too and this research will be used for that decision too.

Still interested in the details for the rear. Thanks!
-Aaron

5100's are the 'basic' one, 5150's have the piggyback crossflow reservoir.... extra bling, oil capacity, and powder coating....

bpe's can be used to add and inch or so of extended length... a bandaid.

bpe's pre-load the lower bushing on the shocks, which helps keep the bushing from doing the shocks job -- a common cause of shock failure, hello rough country--

i dont run them, maybe theres other reasons.

the debate on if a regular, non socal rig can benefit from a remote reservoir shock is there, you can probably benefit from a RR shock, even if you dont prerun around the desert.... but if your asking if you need the reservoir, you probably dont. the 5150 is a half-way shock, its allmost up there w/ the good stuff, fox, bilstein 7100, etc.... it used to be around $100 per shock, half the price of fox 2.0's... now its like $150... this kinda makes it a less better shock. for $50 more, you get a true rebuildable shock, with a true remote reservoir... the 5150 cannot be rebuilt, so at $150, i think lesser of it then i did when it was $100.

Back