• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

explorer tranny cooler

92tahoexj

NAXJA Forum User
So, I picked up an explorer tranny cooler for my 92 xj at the pick-n pull for $15 the other day and it has a in-line filter attached to it. Should I throw it away or install a new filter in it's place. Also, does it matter which direction the fluid flows through the tranny cooler? I want to run tranny> cooler> radiator> tranny ,right? That's the top line on the radiator and the front line on the tranny I believe. I've seen several different diagrams, so I'm a bit confused. Should I also pick up a temp gauge? I'm getting ready to tow a 6x10 box trailer from Tahoe to Louisville, Ky in about 6 weeks. I'm going to be using my 30x9.5's for the trip since I only have 3.55's right now.

thanks,
chris

Not sure the in-line filter is needed, but I can't see why it would hurt to run it inline? I could maybe see it affecting pressure? Not 100% sure on that one.

I don't think it matters which way the fluid flows through the cooler.

Yes, you want to run trans > cooler > radiator > trans. This is where some people will disagree, but I've had no problems with trans temps while offroad or on-road in 90+ degree weather.

Temp gauge wouldn't hurt. I don't have one, but my buddy does with the same setup as me and his never gets over 180, and it only hits that mark when we're off road on a hot day.

Coolers should always be plumbed to fill from the bottom and out the top. That way there are no areas of trapped air.

I run my explorer tranny cooler: Trans>radiator>cooler>trans

That is the way B&M Transmissions recommends them to be plumbed. I think the thought is to cool the fluid after the radiator so the trans gets the coolest oil possible. Engine runs at 210 which is to hot for the trans. You want the trans fluid to be 175 or less. I have found over the years that the engine water temp runs cooler with the trans cooler after the radiator.

I ran mine today and on a 98 degree day cooler was at 165 degrees by checking with an IR thermometer. (No towing and no 4 wheeling just freeway)

Just my $0.02. This advice is worth what you paid for it.

I was always taught the air to oil cooler goes after the water to oil cooler. A water to oil cooler is more efficient at pulling the heat out so you run that first, then the air to oil knocks it down more. I do believe the ford style coolers are meant to be installed with the inlet/outlet facing left or right or straight down. This is to prevent particles from plugging up the passages. The 1st two or three rows in the cooler are designed just a little different than the remainder of the rows. They allow fluid that is too cold to bypass the cooler, i.e. winter driving conditions.

Last edited:
Back