• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Go from 35s to 33s (tire input)

kwill1

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 was at about 8 inches of lift w/35 inch Superswampers. I removed spacers and long shackles to bring it down two inches. Its still a little high for my taste, so I put an add on Craigslist to trade my 35s for 33s. (I also want to get a locker but I have the D30 and 8.25, and I understand it's safer w/ 33s than with 35s.)

Anyway, I was offered almost new Goodyear Wrangler MTRs or Toyo MTs. Of the two, which do you guys prefer?
My xj is not a daily driver- about monthly use (some highway and a mix of rocks and a little mud)

never had mtr's but the toyo's are a good tire

Toyo's are great tires. on a rig that can spin them. they are extremely heavy compared to the rest of the market, and they wear out considerably faster then the others.. Im personally not a fan of the MTR OR Toyo's but for a jeep, if those were my choices, i would run the MTR.

I have compared both the Goodyear Wrangler MTRs and the Toyo MTs. Both are great tires. Out of the two, I would say the Toyo MTs are better. It is always a persons preference and perception to of which they feel is better. I have friends that have used both. Most of them went to either BFG T/As (KM2), Pitbulls, TSRs, or still use Toyos.

Are the Toyos really that much heavier than other tires? If so, they might be as bad as a 35 inch tire for a locked D30, huh.

Everybody here likes the MTRs in the rocks. Apparently they work great. I put a set of them on my XJ to try them out(fit and look, they were Rubicon take-offs) They were LOUD. As in can't hear the radio or have a conversation at highway speed.

A friend of mine had Toyo MTs on his CJ. They worked great for him, and seem quieter then the MTRs.

I like my MTR's i got them pretty cheap so i am runnin em. I plan on saving for my next set here soon. and they will be the new MTR's with kevlar....

I have close friends running both MTR's and Toyos, and funny enough, each swears by them. I have seen both of them in action and both tires do really well. 6 one way, half a dozen another, I think you are set whichever way you go. Maybe not what you want to hear, but it's not like you are comparing one lousy tire to a good one. Either will be bomber.

I just bought a used set of Toyo's and will say I'm much happier with the Toyo's compared to my Pitbulls. Apples to Oranges though. I haven't gotten them off-road yet. The Toyo's are much much quieter. They look very similar to the 31" MT/R's on the old KJ but with more syping on the Toyo's.

I was very happy with the way my MT/R's started out buy by half tread they were loud and didn't wear well on my KJ. Once again apples to oranges. I have one wheeling buddy that is hates his MT/R's in the midwest but loved them in Colorado. I have another buddy that has 33" MT/R's and they have been on his DD/wheeler for over 4 years now and are still at half tread.

Would I buy another set of MT/R's probally not. I was very unhappy how mine wore. On the flip side I haven't had the Toyo's long enough to make a fair comparison but I am much happier with the half tread Toyo's vs the half tread MT/R's. I feel like the Toyos do better on rainy streets than the MT/R's and they are a ton quieter. They are also a true 33" tire. The Toyos and my old Rockers unmounted side by side the Toyo is 1 1/2" to 2" taller.

Just my experiance so far.

Parakeet

I've wheeled with a guy running 35" MTR's on a yota and they are very impressive in the rocks. Air down nice and seem to stick well. I have heard that the rubicon variety are a different tread compound than those purchased aftermarket. Hardr rubber to last longer on a factory street driven vehicle. Not certain on this though.

Back