• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shimming....

Ya,
After putting in my SYE and putting the FR DS on, my pinion hangs low and I have noticed a jerk or thump when I accelerate after a stop and found that my rear springs are taking a beating from not aligning the pinion to the TC.
What do I need to make it right and what is the best idea?

While angle shims will help correct a mis-alignment (with SYE driveshaft, pinion should be pointed about 3-degrees below the TC output shaft), I don't understand how they will help with a bump/thump, or how they will help keep your springs from "taking a beating".

Torque from accellerating causes springs to twist (axle wrap) as they try to resist the torque being applied to the wheels. The twist will be constant regardless of where the pinion is pointing. The bump/thump could (probably is) something else, like loose u-bolts, broken leaf, loose/broken shackle, etc. I'd look it all over real good.

Torque from accellerating causes springs to twist (axle wrap) as they try to resist the torque being applied to the wheels. The twist will be constant regardless of where the pinion is pointing. The bump/thump could (probably is) something else, like loose u-bolts, broken leaf, loose/broken shackle, etc. I'd look it all over real good.[/quote]

I thought of that as well. But after I took tthe time to inspect it at a crawl and then accelerate out of the crawl, I saw the torque effect on the pinion and just assumed that was the issue. I had not had that problem before, but now i do.

What else could be the issue?

I bought some 2.5 degree shims from RE yesterday. That ran me about 34 bucks after taxes. Should help with my 3.5" lift and 1" TC drop.

RE has shims in varying degrees for your particular setup.

Searched for info on where a good source is for Shims but couldnt find anything.
Can anyone direct me to a good source?
I could never really understand why these guys like to dress up like women, but hey, what ever floats their boat... Maybe try an adult book store late at night:roflmao:

I could never really understand why these guys like to dress up like women, but hey, what ever floats their boat... Maybe try an adult book store late at night:roflmao:

Well bfred, that probably would have been funny had I started drinking at 6am, but since I dont drink at all, well? It wasnt that funny, unless of course you spend alot of time doing it yourself?

It funny, now that I'm drinking. I'm thinking that bump/thump could be binding at the rear Ujoint. Check the yoke for shinny spots were the driveshaft may be contacting the yoke. If not there, check for an adams apple.

I bought some 2.5 degree shims from RE yesterday. That ran me about 34 bucks after taxes. Should help with my 3.5" lift and 1" TC drop.

RE has shims in varying degrees for your particular setup.
What kind of shims did you get? Those seem kinda expensive. Rusty's billet steel ones are about that price. I went with BDS aluminum ones from an off-road shop, ran me 10 bucks for the 4 degree ones.

What kind of shims did you get? Those seem kinda expensive. Rusty's billet steel ones are about that price. I went with BDS aluminum ones from an off-road shop, ran me 10 bucks for the 4 degree ones.
LOL, yeah and when they break you're going to be pissed off that you didn't buy steel ones.

Ya,
After putting in my SYE and putting the FR DS on, my pinion hangs low and I have noticed a jerk or thump when I accelerate after a stop and found that my rear springs are taking a beating from not aligning the pinion to the TC.
What do I need to make it right and what is the best idea?

I had the same thing after installing my SYE & removing the 1" transfer case drop. I have a RE 3.5 superflex lift and the RE 4 degree steel shims did the trick. Like you, I'm using a front DS.

I had the same thing after installing my SYE & removing the 1" transfer case drop. I have a RE 3.5 superflex lift and the RE 4 degree steel shims did the trick. Like you, I'm using a front DS.

I appreciate your help and info. It helps knowing that there are others that have had the same thing and know that there may be a chance for me to resolve it with little effort.
Did you have to buy new u-bolts? Mine are down to the last few threads! Using bastard pack, I have resolved to going with new U-bolts if I can? ,but I also have some sag that I would like to take care of in the springs. Maybe newer bastards or a AAL?

Back