• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Skid Plates

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched for about 25 minutes this morning on google and the site and cannot find any pics of the factory skid plates.

I just got my build sheet email, and it detailed that it had Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield, Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield, & Front Suspension Skid Plate.

I've verified the gas tank skid is there, but I'm curious about the other two. Does anyone have any pics of the transfer case skid or the front skid plate?

sure
t-case best i have
scan1043.jpg

you can see the stock front skid under the bumper
scan1279.jpg

Yeah, sadly there were plenty of people taking about the factory skids, but nobody had pics up.

You'd think there'd be a stick thread somewhere. Maybe something in the junk yard upgrades threads about how to identify rare parts like that.

Thanks for the pics everyone, now I have alot better of an idea of what I'm looking at.

Last edited:
They aren't really rare, and they are pretty easy to identify in a junkyard. If you have a big piece of metal protecting the component from the ground, then you have a skid plate.

I will say I've seen more skid plate on older XJ's, than I have on '97+ XJ's.

The factory t case skid plate doesn't look like much but I guess it's better than nothing.

The factory t case skid plate doesn't look like much but I guess it's better than nothing.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...or a poke in the t-case for that matter.
I think it's more to keep from getting hung up on the case than anything else.

Nick

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd tack on to my existing thead.

The gas tank skid looks pretty easy to get out. Just 4 bolts.

The transfer case looks like you have to drop the cross member to get get at the nuts on the under side of the cross member. But how do you get the bolt that goes through the subframe out? I got it to turn, but not loosen. Is there a nut inside the subframe channel, and if so, how do you get to it?

Lastly, is it possible to get the front skid plate off without removing the bumper?

The t-case skid is held in place by nutserts which can be a pain because they tend to spin, in my experience. I had to cut the bolts and then drill out the nutserts. As far as the front skid, you don't need to remove anything, except perhaps if you have the rubber engine splash shield.

The t-case skid is held in place by nutserts which can be a pain because they tend to spin, in my experience. I had to cut the bolts and then drill out the nutserts. As far as the front skid, you don't need to remove anything, except perhaps if you have the rubber engine splash shield.

On the front, it looks like studs. What's on the other side of the front skid?

Also, if all I'm doing is removing the skid plates, can I just cut/grind off the transfer case bolts and drop it that way?

The front skid is held on by bolts and/or studs with nuts.

The T-case skid unbolts, there is no need to mess with the crossmember. If the nut certs are spinning, wedge a screw driver between the frame and the skid to apply tension to the nut cert. Or, just pull down on one end while you unbolt the other end.

standard.jpg

Hi- first post- love this site,

Will a gas tank skid plate from an early 90s xj fit around the plastic 2000 xj gas tank?

Gracias in advance!

...., As far as the front skid, you don't need to remove anything, except perhaps if you have the rubber engine splash shield.
Do yourself a favor if you remove the factory splash guard. Put it back when you're done. Amongst other things, it protects the alternator(from a lot more then water)

Thank you- I stumbled onto a fuel tank skid at the JY and passed on it not knowing if it would fit. The plastic tank in my 2000 looked markedly different shapewise to the older metal one.

hastasorry, I just got a laugh out of this smiley.

Do yourself a favor if you remove the factory splash guard. Put it back when you're done. Amongst other things, it protects the alternator(from a lot more then water)

Is the splash guard on the non skid plate models? The splash guard on my donor is pretty chewed up. I'd like to know if I need to source another one, or if my 97 without the factory skid has the splash guard.

Never had one and I'd take it off and throw it away if mine had come with one. I've been in plenty of mud and deep water (unfortunately), but I always stop on the way home and really spray out the alternator and bottom of the Jeep. It's the crud, not the water that kills alts.

Not to mention you get more air flow in the engine bay if you remove the splash guard.

Back