NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA's Technical Forums > Modified Tech Discussion
Register FAQ Users List Calendar Mark Forums Read
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Donate Bylaws Store Members Chat E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 18th, 2009, 19:35
NAXJA Forum User

Baja shifter

I spent the weekend in Palo Duro canyon, Jeep Jamboree there is my favorite, somewhat expensive but I like the people, the the Figure 3 Ranch and the wheelin and scenery is fabulous. I was one of there XJ's out of 100 jeeps there. I was hampered by not being able to control my AW4 transmission and keep it in low gear. I ordered an AWShifter but got caught in that fiasco and did not get the device or any return of my emails since OCT 08. I emailed Rory Des Jardins at http://radesignsproducts.com/default.aspx after I got back Sunday from Amarillo and he personally called me from Washington state today to answer my questions. I ordered the "BAJA Shifter" after talking to him and reading reviews on Pirate 4x4 ( http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9782514 ) and an install and testing thread there. He assured me, it will go out on Friday and be here next week. I am going to post on this thread my experience with this shifter after I install, I'll try to picture up install as I go. I would appreciate any info on this product. I'll have to wire a switch for the torque converter and I have not decided to do a switch to turn on and off the shifter or not. He says he leaves his on all the time in his daily driver Toyota. I think I'll try it that way to start. The "Rail Shifter" version is less expensive, but i like the design and the potential durability of the BAJA.

Last edited by 2lazy2p; May 18th, 2009 at 19:47. Reason: spelling
Old May 18th, 2009, 19:59
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Baja shifter

that looks awsome... I notice that you have to remove your center console... I wonder if you can mount it anywhere close by.
Old May 18th, 2009, 20:02
NAXJA Forum User

Im planing on buying one of these before the summers out and swapping out my ax15 for an Aw4 with the baja. looking forward to this thread and its results.
Old May 18th, 2009, 20:30
NAXJA Forum User

I have a similar setup in my 99 XJ with a video game controller. I love it.
Looks sick too.
Old May 18th, 2009, 20:34
NAXJA Member

Subscribing, I wanna see where this goes.

Don't take it personally, I'm like this to everyone.
Old May 18th, 2009, 22:13
NAXJA Forum User

When you get some tech in here, either repost in Mod tech or PM me and I'll move it back.
Billy
Old May 19th, 2009, 19:12
Piece of Fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdrew17 View Post
that looks awsome... I notice that you have to remove your center console... I wonder if you can mount it anywhere close by.
In theory you can mount it anywhere since it is electronic. And, What I would do since I use my console, is modify and mount it next to the stock shifter.
I would personally rather have a Hurst ratcheting shifter over that, but its a cool idea.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:16
NAXJA Forum User

Got email from Rory yesterday---
Looks good---

"Your shifter was shipped today USPS, it should arrive mid-week.
Thank you for your order,

Rory A. DesJardin
RADesigns Products LLC
509-552-9439
Clarkston, WA"

I'll be watching for it mid week--
Old May 25th, 2009, 15:28
NAXJA Member

I want one, or make that 2! I would love to have one for the DD as well as the trail rig.
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:12
NAXJA Forum User

The shifter was at my door on Tuesday afternon just as Rory promised. I looks good. We are in the midst of a family yard garage sale so my work area is occupied as is my time for the weekend, therefore I won't be able to mess with install until next week.(That doesn't keep me from sharpening the saw, studying wiring etc.) Rory includes instructions for wiring switches to switch on or off the shifter and the torque converter, does any one know of a source for these switches? Rest assured Rory's business practices are right on and he delivers when promised.

Last edited by 2lazy2p; May 29th, 2009 at 06:19.
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:30
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Good question, places to get switches, NAPA, Radio Shack, would be a good start, they may have them depending on the store. When I need switches I order them from Allied Electric, Waytek or DigiKey.
Rory D.
Old May 31st, 2009, 13:15
NAXJA Forum User

OK, I am a subscriber of good ole Abe Lincoln's philosophy "If you give me 4 hrs to fell a tree, I'll spend 3 hrs sharpening the blade." I studied the wiring diagram of the TCU connector from the manufacture's repair manual ( I invested in it early in my cherokee journey), boils down to this. The yellow wire to D16 is a fused power source that is operative with the key on. That to me looks like a good source for the power tor the shifter if I want to mount the relays under the right side of the dash close to the TCU.
Wiring the switch for the Torque Converter should be easy, I like the wiring for that part as illustrated in the GreatLakesXJ tech article--- http://www.greatlakesxj.com/tech/aw4shiftmod.html .
So now I got to find a DPDT switch worthy to wire in to switch the BAJA on and off. I have deeply considered whether to do this or not and have decided that I will not be the only driver so I need to be able to switch back to "natural" for my wife and daughter. That leaves wiring the red wire of the shifter to a jumper off of the D16 wire, and then wiring the other two (blue and yellow) to switch the wires from the TCA to the to the transmission solenoids (Solenoid 1 = C16 Blue to shifter Blue wire,Solenoid 2 = C15 Violet wire to the shifter Yellow wire) then a good ground for the black wire. What do you think? I can't get physically to work for a few days but there is nothing wrong with brainstorming.

Last edited by 2lazy2p; May 31st, 2009 at 13:38.
Old May 31st, 2009, 13:55
NAXJA Forum User

I believe as Abe Lincoln in spending 3hrs sharping the saw when you got 4 hrs to fell the tree. I studied the Factory Manual diagrams of the TCU and after making the decision to wire in a control switch for the shifter, since my family will also be driving the vehicle, I will need to be able to switch the shifting back to natural.
Also I have decided to mount the relays for the controller under the right dash near the TCU.
I think a good power source for the shifter is the yellow wire going to D16 of the TCU, it is a fused 12 volt source from the ignition switch, it could be jumpered to the red power source wire of the shifter.

That leaves 1.finding a good ground for the black wire of the shifter. 2. Finding a worthy DPDT switch to wire to switch the 2 remaining wires of the shifter. The blue shifter wire to the blue wire going to Solenoid 1 at C16, and the yellow shifter wire to the violet wire going to Solenoid 2 at C15.
I can't get to the shop for a few days but I can brain storm and prepare. I plan to take plenty of pictures when we start.
Comments please. What do you think?
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:24
NAXJA Supporting Vendor

Sounds like you have it all figured out. Go for it. Remember to test the solenoid wires to make sure you are connected to the right ones.
Old July 5th, 2009, 20:05
NAXJA Forum User

I finally got some work done. I'm gonna present my project in several steps since I am simple minded and probably need too much flexability but here goes. I got the shifter as noted.
THE SHIFTER

Note 4 wires from the relays, black is ground, red is power (12V when key on), blue is selected power to #1 solenoid , yellow is selected power to #2 solenoid. Which solenoids are activated to change gears in the transmission is well documented elsewhere.
BACK SIDE

Nice design sensors to send signals to relays to select power to transmission solenoids to shift. Next Post is Preparation.