• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any pdx'ers done the A/C to OBA?

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
Lookin for someone to guide me threw the process. in person..

Will pay you to help me set it up.
from what i have researched, parts are less then $100, If you've done it before, PM me please!:cheers:

I'm slowly working on it. I priced out EVERYTHING and it came out to 82bucks with oiler, filter, and water filter. Hose front to rear with 3gal tank

Nick, as soon as you finesh it up, wanna help me get the parts together and talk me threw the setup a little bit. i imagine i can get everything but the tank right there at your job?...

I did this years ago and it has been one of the best mods I have made to my Jeep.
There should be plenty of info in the search tech areas. It is a VERY simple upgrade. Originally I did it with no tank and it worked great. I now have it attached to both my front and rear bumpers (about 12 gal total). Works even better. I think it cost me about $45 when I did it originally with no tank and no pressure switch. When I added the pressure switch I think I paid about another $25 or so. I would be shocked if it couldn't be done for less than $100 with all new parts.

If there isn't anyone else in the Portland area I don't mind assisting however it would be best for the group.

Michael

Michael, are you running air hose straight off the outlet port? Has heat build up been an issue?

I've heard of hoses bursting from too much heat.
My friend just put one together and he has a plastic coil up hose for now. After filling up one small trailer tire the hose was very hot! I think quite a few people use copper tube to disipate heat.

Michael, are you running air hose straight off the outlet port? Has heat build up been an issue?

I've heard of hoses bursting from too much heat.

When you say straight off the outlet port I assume you mean after the pressure valve, over pressure valve, multiport (for a tank, and pressure gauge), filter, etc? Yes, I used to run mine from the outlet port strait through all of these compoents (all brass) and then strait out to a hose, I split a couple of cheap hoses and connectors when I first did it due to heat. I replaced them with better hoses and connectors (quick connectors) and haven't had any issues at all for probably a couple of years. The key is really useing a decent hose and connector and not useing a hose barb with clamps and cheap hose right close to the outlet.

Michael

Lookin for someone to guide me threw the process. in person..

Will pay you to help me set it up.
from what i have researched, parts are less then $100, If you've done it before, PM me please!:cheers:

thought i told you the first time you were here i did that. it was about $100 but thats with my 9 gal tank too. let me know when you want to do it, it was FUN!

My friend just put one together and he has a plastic coil up hose for now. After filling up one small trailer tire the hose was very hot! I think quite a few people use copper tube to disipate heat.

That's what I've heard of as well from write-ups I've read. For heat dissipation people will run copper tube for the first foot or so.

When you say straight off the outlet port I assume you mean after the pressure valve, over pressure valve, multiport (for a tank, and pressure gauge), filter, etc? Yes, I used to run mine from the outlet port strait through all of these compoents (all brass) and then strait out to a hose, I split a couple of cheap hoses and connectors when I first did it due to heat. I replaced them with better hoses and connectors (quick connectors) and haven't had any issues at all for probably a couple of years. The key is really useing a decent hose and connector and not useing a hose barb with clamps and cheap hose right close to the outlet.

Michael

When I said outlet port, I meant directly from the outlet of the compressor.

On the oulet of the compressor you need several parts prior to your hose connection:
1. one way valve so that it doesn't damage the compressor
2. safety valve so that you don't run your pressure too high (I think mine is 120psi)
3. a gauge so you know what pressure your at.
4. quick disconnect to connect your hose or tank if you are useing one.
5. pressure switch if useing one.

Then if you are not running a tank you would hook up your hose after these few items. Running a coper tube would be a pain in the ass since it is solid and could easily get damaged. I just run a decent quality hose on a disconnect and haven't had any issues at all.

Michael

I think we're both talking about different things. ;)

My question was regarding the line you used between the compressor outlet, and the components you mentioned (check valve, safety valve, etc.)

This guy (T&A-XJ) ran rubber hose straight from the compressor.
DSCN6030.jpg

This guy ran some copper and brass first.
100_0795.jpg

mine kinda looks like the 2nd example. copper first is the way to go

Michael, you should give us all a shopping list and come on down and do a weekend clinic. with 8-10 guys at say $5.0 or $10.00 bucks a piece for your time and trouble.

? ? ?

michael being?

Nick, as soon as you finesh it up, wanna help me get the parts together and talk me threw the setup a little bit. i imagine i can get everything but the tank right there at your job?...
i have all the stuff
im working on the fitting at the a/c compresser.

i got all my stuff from harbor fright
3 gal tank (5 gal at baxter) and all the hose, oiler, water thing yep yep

i have all the stuff
im working on the fitting at the a/c compresser.

i got all my stuff from harbor fright
3 gal tank (5 gal at baxter) and all the hose, oiler, water thing yep yep

Me and you are gonna take a little trip so i can get the right shiz. Im NOT running bias plys at 7 lbs on the street(again). Scary as hell.

Me and you are gonna take a little trip so i can get the right shiz. Im NOT running bias plys at 7 lbs on the street(again). Scary as hell.

harbor fright and home depo are right next to my house (i love it)

let go!!! i like spending money thats not mine......

Smitty: PM box is full...

Mojojo: I like your idea, i would be willing to chip in if he came down to help a group of us.

Honestly, im willing to pay a knowledgeable person to get me from A-Z, im a complete NOoB when it comes to OBA, im just sick of driving on 10psi tires all the way to the gas station, it would be alot easier to do it trailside.

Back