• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Iron Rock Long Arm Upgrade

98XJLimitedNateWV

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone run this setup? The price seems good at 599.99 for the long arm upgrade. It seems a little strange because the upper arm is fixed to the lower arm and there is a caster adjustment on the upper arm...quite a different design from most of the kits out there.

from previous threads it really is not the way to go - for even less you can go with the RK long arm and have some left over - I would stay away from this kit and go with BDS, RK, RE or even Rustys ... all of these kits have been used and abused and there is a lot of feedback on them ... the iron rock has not much on it for a reason

well the design is still the same but looks like the updated material and such...

link:

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X_LAK&Category_Code=PFX

specs:

NOW HIGHER CLEARANCE AND BETTER TIRE CLEARANCE! We use an exclusive, non-binding, 3 link setup that has a pair of front long arms that will flex more than you thought possible. You WILL NOT bend these long arms as they are made from 5/16" wall DOM tubing. The bushings at the unibody are greasable super-flex joints that pivot to give as much suspension travel as your shocks will allow. We combine that with factory style rubber bushings at the axle for superior road noise and vibration dampening. As always, this kit is 100% bolt on! NO WELDING and only minor drilling is required for installation. No adjustment is necessary in any part except for our unique caster adjustment bracket that allows 7.5° of adjustability; plenty for any lift height from 4.5-8"!!

Why Fixed Length?

1. Strength - With 2" x 5/16" wall DOM straight into the bushing tube, there are NO weak points on these control arms. The Iron Y is gusseted with 1/4" laser cut steel gusset for additional support. No threaded rod to rust, bend, mangle on rocks, or worse yet wear out and clunk!
  2. Control Arm/Axle Position - We have designed these arms to be the ideal length for your XJ for any lift between 4.5" and 8". Imagine you add our long arm upgrade to your 6" lift kit. Now 6 months later you want to go to 8" of lift. The axle will only be pulled back less than 1/4"! Remember, the arc that our ideal length long arm travels is always the same, meaning your tire will center perfectly in the wheel well on compression no matter what height lift you are running.
  3. Easiest Install - You can't get it wrong. You don't have to match your control arms or worry about setting the right length because that is done for you.
  4. SAVES YOU MONEY!!! - It costs us less to build so the savings get passed to you.
  • Kit Includes:
  • 1 Passenger side lower control arm.
  • 1 Iron-Y radius arm that connects to the upper and lower axle mounts.
  • 3 piece high clearance, steel subframe assembly with built in optional transfer case drop
  • All required hardware.
  • Installation instructions.

I dunno... it's a cool prospect for a broke kid like me, but I don't much like the thought of radius arm setups, due to the unloading and steering issues at flex. If the RK 3 link is only $100 more than the adjustable IRO radius arm kit, then I'll go for it more likely, as I'm pretty sure it isn't a radius arm setup.

NSW Wannajeep on here runs the Iron Rock kit on 31's and about 4" or so of lift. Drove it from Northeast Minnesota to Moab, wheeled and drove home with no issues. Looks pretty decent to me, seems to perform very well.

There are just to many BETTER options out there,Ive built 2 sets of LA's and would never have conceived that design.

There are just to many BETTER options out there,Ive built 2 sets of LA's and would never have conceived that design.

So, some one came up with a design that you didn't think of after building 2 sets.. big deal.

I personally run that Iron Rock Offroad Iron-Y and I love it...damn near maintanance free. My only regret is not getting that adjustable option. Here you go...

101_0148.jpg

101_0217.jpg

Off-road.com is building a hardcore Cherokee Project and did a ton of research on suspensions before choosing. They checked out the Critical Path 6.5" suspension from Iron Rock and found it to be updated and as good or better than anything on the market today for the XJ. The Critical Path Suspension is a little bit different than their previous version of the kit. I know you'll be able to read a full review of their new kit pretty soon and they are the first magazine to run it and give their feedback. I think the new kit looks kick ass and well thought out.

The one I have is their previous design...if I had known they would come out with a high clearance, I would have waited...

The one I have is their previous design...if I had known they would come out with a high clearance, I would have waited...
Yeah...the arms look way better now. They are high clearance and "bend" in the right direction now. I believe their old design had a bend downward so you could keep your original lower control arm mount attached and it helped with caster during travel. Not sure if you have to cut the LCA mount off now due to the high clearance links....but who cares. The cross member looks much better now too. Their web site has pictures of the new components and they look really nice to me.

Back