• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM look foglights and hardwired Garmin 97+ XJ (my holiday projects)

rienzio

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ got a few Christmas gifts: a garmin Nuvi 350 (highly recommended, it was very affordable as a refurb and I am happy, haven't found that I need features that the new 265 series have that I can't live without.) I wanted to hardwire it, but also have a rocker switch to turn it off for everyday driving when I know where I'm going. I got a hardwire kit from amazon.com, there are two available, but I choose this one because its mini USB connector is straight, not 90 degree.

I also picked up a KC Highlites 516 kit, which includes two 2x6 multi-use lights and clear fog, amber fog, and clear driving lenses. Per the reccomendation of others on this forum, I got a Mopar 82204235 kit from the dealer, which includes a new switch panel and OEM fog light switch. If you are happy with a KC rocker switch under your dash, the 516 kit includes all the relays and wiring you'll need. I ended up fabbing some brackets from 2" x 1/8" bar stock to place them behind the air dam.

Here's the install:

Part I: electrical
=========================
first, I scribed and cut a hole in the switch panel for the extra rocker switch. Sure, I could've ordered a 4-bay panel, but in the interest of KISS, I went to checker and got a $2 black rocker.
DSCN7778.jpg

DSCN7779.jpg

next, we followed the MOPAR directions for the harness. It went fairly smoothly. You'll need to pull the yellow wire thru the firewall grommet on driver side. We used a awl to make a small hole, then snaked it thru using some uncoated floral wire.

Relays and fuse holder found places using existing bolts on the right side fender:
DSCN7780.jpg

Here's the new switch panel installed and the new wiring behind the knee blocker. THe small black box is the transformer for the Garmin. I snaked the USB connector up behind the far left AC vent. There was a module just to the right of the throttle pedal (cruise? delay wipers? can't remember) that I attached the ground lugs for both. Note that the jumper is where you are supposed to connect the high-beam cutout relay. I did not. Driving with foglights and high beams is illegal in most states. I don't condone this practice, i just want to have all candlepower available to me if I'm off-road in an emergency.
DSCN7781.jpg

Here's dad buttoning the battery back up. Note that we dropped the grille and headlight surround to route the harness to the light locations. Well worth spinning a few 10mm bolts.
DSCN7783.jpg

Here's the finished garmin mount. Works really great. THe USB plug was rattling loose ocassionaly, so I just tweaked the metal part a bit with some small needlenose, and it fits tighter. I will probably order a RAM mount shortly and screw it to the A-pillar or gauge surround, as i ocassionaly park in the sun to find the suction cup has de-sucked and the garmin is dangling by the cord. Other than that, it works really well.
DSCN7798.jpg

And the view from outside: mr. policeman should be happy--he can still read the VIN, and colorado doesn't have any anti-suction cup laws. I'm happy because there are no wires in the way!
DSCN7799.jpg

Part II: mounting fog lamps:
=========================

first I cut out the knock-outs in the bumper cap. On the first one, i didn't have the dremel handy (left it at dad's house, d'oh!) so I grabbed the sawzall. be careful. the ABS is like soft cheese under a sawzall. I'll have to order some touch-up. If you have the black corners on you sport or base model, the cutting will be much less noticeable.
DSCN7794.jpg

Next I made a template and marked the holes to match the factory bumper and the KC light:
DSCN7793.jpg

Here's the light attached to a completed bracket:
DSCN7800.jpg

Next bolt up your brackets with 1/4" x 1/2" hex bolts, and cut off the factory pigtail. I used bullet disconnects to mate up with the pigtails on the KC lights.
DSCN7795.jpg

And here's how the completed lights look: from 6 ft away, you won't know they arent OEM, and cost a lot less! My 98 classic is now fully loaded!
DSCN7802.jpg

hope that was helpful for anyone looking for OEM appearance fog lights on a budget or looking to integrate a GPS. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

I'm subscribing to this one as i'd like to hardwire my GPS. Probably PM you a few questions as I was a little confused since the electrical got put together for both the fog lights and Garmin. Maybe if you could break it up into two seperate installs. But awesome!

Last edited:
I'll add a sketch wiring diagram for the GPS power shortly. It's pretty straightforward, but something I should clarify. Thanks.

Hey Rienzio good job on the electrical work. You made a wise choice going with aftermarket fogs. The factory fogs are worthless. I've often considered swapping mine out. Now that I'm living in constant fog, It's back on the mod list.

I drive a white '99 classic and used to live in Golden also!

Updates/follow up:

GPS INTEGRATION
==================
Wiring diagram:
gpswirediag.jpg

Trim removal:

1. Pull the center stack bezel, by grabbing the bottom corners with your fingers and pulling toward you.
  2. Switch panel comes out with 3 screws
  3. Pull knee blocker for a place to stash transformer box.
Routing GPS cable up left side of dash: there are two options, maybe 3:

• Option A (Easy): run outside the dash, along front edge of door jamb, secure with tape or RTV sealant.
  • Option B (Fun but hidden): pull gauge surround, pull dash top, pull LH A/C vent, route cord behind.
  • Option C (how good are you at snaking wires?): there might be enough space to snake it in the option B route without pulling all the trim. (i haven't tried this.)

FOGLIGHT MOUNTING
================
bracket template, if anyone wants to do the same mount:
mountbrack.jpg

clarification / Recommended improvements:

1. Paint brackets to prevent rust (forgot to mention above)
  2. Use 3/8" hardware instead of 1/4", use star washer to prevent bracket from pivoting.
  3. You will need to flip the lenses on the KC lights when they come out of the box, as we're mounting the housings upside down.
  4. If you're running larger tires, make the brackets about 1/2" shorter and round off the back ends for less chance of a tire grabbing it in a flexed suspension situation.
----------------------------------------
shoot me a PM with any other questions.

Don't know why, but my Garmin 350 standard suction cup desucks from the windshield at least once every time I stick it up. At least where you put yours, it doesn't have as far to fall.

Nice write up!! Thanks!

As an aside, are those tow hooks from c4x4? Looks like a nice clean install. Got a write up for that one?? :read:

Thanks!

Back