• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

building the bullet proof D30 housing

Mr.OverKill

NAXJA Forum User
start with a D30 and sleeve it with 3 inch OD tube then build stronger bracketry adding the personal touch.
09-17-06_1730.jpg

these are the LCA brackets
09-20-06_1840.jpg

all tacked on
09-20-06_1841.jpg

still need gussets and weld out and the truss for the UCA attach points over the dif and on the passenger side will be 2X4 square tube cut to shape and fourned to fit the dif housing ( whitch has been rotated as well) the lower control arm mounts were raised 3/4 of an inch so the arms them selves will deflect the impact of the stray rock pluss they will be skidded too. alot of work done and more to come but i should be done soon enough for this season.

If you are going through the trouble of new brackets, why not put them on a worthy axle? I am not flaming you,it's just that the housing is only part of the problem with the turdy.

IntrepidXJ said:
nice work.

not everyone needs a bigger axle in the front of their rig....polishing the 30 isn't always a lost cause.

i totally agree if you already have it and im guessing its already geared
not everyone has the money to go axle shoping and start all over from scratch

cas

I just trussed mine on my TJ from Knuckle to Knuckle with Dom tube. I incorporated the LCA mounts into it. For the pass mount, I made a little plate that works pretty well. It fits inside the mount to give it strength.

I know this is my TJ on an XJ board. But at least it is a HP XJ 30 under my rig.

3182006124yw7.jpg

Nice job.

Is the 3" OD tube an exact fit around the D30 tube? I ask because I have had a similar idea of using half a tube welded to the bottom half of the D30 to act as a skid/truss. Any opinion as to how well this would work?

I've got too much invested in my 30... I may as well keep it. :)

Spent a lot of time and $ building as strong a D30 as I've ever seen:

DSCN0023.jpg

ID1137199031.jpg

Alloy inner and outer shafts.
Jantz Superjoints
ARB

Still didn't stop this from happening:

D30ringgear.jpg

Ended up doing it all over (and then some) on an HP44.
Just a warning.

IOW, yes, it's possible to build a, somewhat, bulletproof D30 housing.
Unfortunately, inside, it'll still be a 30.

Last edited:
Holy (chr)moly! What brand and ratio (teeth count) ring gear is that? You got me curious, proper gear pattern?

I don't see how sleeving the axle tubes will lessen housing flex (or do anything at all?), either.

Last edited:
NXJ said:
Holy (chr)moly! What brand and ratio (teeth count) ring gear is that? You got me curious, proper gear pattern?

I don't see how sleeving the axle tubes will lessen housing flex (or do anything at all?), either.
4.56. Motive Gear.
Everything set up perfectly.
35" Creepy Crawlers

NXJ said:
Hmm, what did the pinion look like after this incident?
Rough but better than the ring gear.

You gotta' remember Troy works for cheap!:shhh:
I can understand the desire to build something that you already have.
You have the axel..locker....housing....its just you want it stronger....you have a metal supplier...you know how to weld....heck, your even somewhat accomplished at fab work.....why not add a bit of truss here....some better mounts there....and viola! You got one fancy (insert present axel here :D )
We know its not as strong as (insert 'next step' axel here.) but I learned a bit and I like working on my (or in Troys case, someone elses) junk!
Yeah....in the long run you probably end up with a Hi-9 because you like quality...but the trip oftentimes is more memorable than the destination.
Rick R

forgot to mention that this particular axle is cal's and the truss is half built ( ruff cut with final fittment to do ) as of tonight all that is needed is the weld out of the coil buckets, LCA mounts, grind, final fit and weld out of the truss and fab of the upper control mounts and shock mounts. the track bar mount will be fit up and weld out after the axle is mounted for a guarenteed clearance and alignment. easy money!

the hardest part is getting my wife to let me spend the time in the garage to get it done after work every day!!

besides it gives me some experiance for when i build my own axle, housing and bracketry ( spider trax 609 knock off )

To answer some questions.

The sleeve is 3" OD .250" wall DOM tube. It's an -exact- fit. I took the knuckles off, cleaned up the stock tube and pounded the DOM on. On the long side I hit a burr on the tube about 1.5" from all the way on (vintagespeed and I worked on this together to that point) and couldn't get it all the way past that burr. Ended up splitting the tube down one side, sliding it in place, compressing it and rewelding it. We had .5" holes drilled every 4" in a circular pattern down the tube and rosette welded it in place.

I then took it to Dan Turner at loosenuts and we welded the knuckles on, 12* pinion angle with stock caster, did the proper heat/cooling and used high nickle stick.

From here I let it sit in the garage for a month or so while I dealt with work stuff and pondered what to do for bracketry, when it came up that there were some favours I could do for troy, and he welds.. so I dropped it off with him. I left some very specific instructions, and a general guidline as to what I want outside of those. One minute ago is the first time I have seen the pictures of what he's doing, and I am very pleased as of thus.

When I get it back from him, it will be getting a Precision Gear r&p with all timken bearings. I have a set of Alloy USA CrMo 27 spline inners and an Auburn Ected sitting on the shelf, although I hear auburn has a 30 spline unit coming up, and if i can get confirmation of that, will hold off and do Alloy USA 30 spline inners with the Ected. Those will be mated with Alloy USA 30 spline outters and 30 spline Timken unit bearings, and a set of CTMs. I picked up a Crane diff cover to help prevent the pinion deflecting the ring gear, Alloy-USA tube seals for no particular reason really, WJ outer knuckles with some aftermarket rotors and calipers. I'll be using .291" DOM tube for the trackbar with 2" superflex joints at both ends, chevy high misalignment DLE's and WJ TRE's, all flipped over the knuckle, and .291" DOM tube for the steering links. RE HD trackbar bracket and brace, currie steering brace, and may throw a hydro assist ram into the mix later, that came off of a '73 F350 4x4.

I would think its clear with the time and effort going into thist, that not only were the time and funds available to do a 44, but that I would have known the risks of polishing a 30. The fact of the matter is the 44 is already sitting in my garage (from a 79 f250) but I want to see how far I can take a dana 30 - and after all, it was my money to waste.

:)

-Cal

Last edited:
Back