• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 conversion(part 2)

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
Part 1 of this project involved swapping in a 4x4 Aw4 and a t.c. in place of the failing 2x4 Aw4. link to that thread is here: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=974786
this is really more of a documentary than a write up. If any one has any questions feel free to P.M. me. The axle swap was very easy do to the fact that two wheel drive xj's have all the same mounting points up front as their superior brethren. Enjoy the pictures.

unbolting the axles off the old:
IMG_0512-2.jpg

IMG_0510-2.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

the next morning ready to work:
104_0180-1.jpg

104_0181-1.jpg

104_0182-1.jpg

104_0191-1.jpg

didnt have a reamer for the pitman arm and I didnt have time to run back to the old jeep so I just taped the shit out of it. Also, I decided to leave the track bar off to make things interesting. If you see me on the freeway, steer clear-
104_0195-1.jpg

I am speachless at how dangerous this is.

I just taped the shit out of it. Also, I decided to leave the track bar off to make things interesting. If you see me on the freeway, steer clear-
104_0195-1.jpg

I know duct tape is supposed to fix everything, but damn, you actually drove away with like that? I think you are joking about the trackbar, as you can't steer for shit without it. With it set up like that though, I don't know why you would ever take it even near the freeway.

On a side note, that new one looks pretty good. That shop is absolutely sick, and those red axle jacks look very useful.

I am speachless at how dangerous this is.

I know duct tape is supposed to fix everything, but damn, you actually drove away with like that? I think you are joking about the trackbar, as you can't steer for shit without it. With it set up like that though, I don't know why you would ever take it even near the freeway.

On a side note, that new one looks pretty good. That shop is absolutely sick, and those red axle jacks look very useful.

A two way live fire is dangerous. Fast roping combat equipment and a 240 is dangerous. Lifting the front of a gutted xj with A two ton engine hoist and a doubled tow strap isnt my idea of living on the edge.

The jeep just needed to be pushed outside to the parking lot, I was just messing around, I do appreciate your concern though-
And those are transmission jacks, but they work good for just about anything.
rltw

I think the bumper itself is the more likely failure point... Hell, it isn't OSHA approved doing it that way but I wouldn't be too nervous about it.

being that there is no motor or any other driveline patrs or header panal or radiator or basically anyhting up front with much weight i think there safe especially without the front axle not saying it would be my first choice of support if i were doing the job but i don't think it's all that dangerousdue to lack of wieght and what ever weight there is on there is mostly on the rear axle

although the bumper dose appear to be a little bent lol

Back