• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Aussie Locker installed in a Chrysler 8.25

turpehar

NAXJA Forum User
One week ago today, the Aussie auto locker for the 8.25 became available. I ordered one for my 98 XJ. It arrived on Wednesday, so I read the instructions several times and planned to install tonight. I ate supper and went to the garage and started working at 7:00PM and finished at 9:30PM
Here is the specimen.
2.jpg

Here is the distinctive sign of an 8.25,,, casting is flat on the bottom.
3.jpg

Here are the materials you'll need.
4.jpg

Here are the contents of the kit.
5.jpg

Here are the required tools
6.jpg

7.jpg

Pull the pan, pull the bolt holding the pin, set the carrier at 45º so the pin will pass the case.
8.jpg

Pull spiders, their washers will not be used.
9.jpg

As described in the directions, grease everything so they will stick together during assembly.
9b.jpg

Completely assembled minus the pin.
9c.jpg

I could have taken a lot more pictures but with greasy hands it was tough, plus I was by myself.
I finished 2 1/2 hours after I started, this included gathering tools, setting the vehicle on jack stands, all the way to dropping it back to the floor. I don't want to make this sound too simple in terms of time, but the instructions were obviously written by Engineers. I had never installed a locker of any type ever before.
The part of the directions that were confusing dealt with making a tool out of a clothes hanger,,, very confusing for my simple mind,,, but I didn't even need it.
In the test part of the instructions you have to make sure that it will unlock. At first I thought something was wrong because it would not unlock. I got to thinking about it and determined that the axles were just pushed back in so maybe they were not exactly setting where they should be. So, I gave each tire a push/pull cycle. Then the test was good.
I buttoned everything up and went for a test drive. I have to say it's a bit strange getting used to the ratcheting noise when cornering. On the other hand I was able to climb a ditch in two wheel drive that I was never able to do before.
In addition, the instructions have you checking tolerances at two points during the install. One is the clearence between the pin and the c-clip cover/spacers, which is supposed to be between .006" and .020". Mine was right at .020". The second mesurement is the distance between the two halves when assembled, minus the pin. The tolerence was supposed to be between .145" and .170". Mine was at .155". It is also mentioned that you should check the thrust washers that are to be reused between the side gears and the casting for wear. Tolerences aren't given,,, more of a visual thing. Mine were Ok, but I ran them over a flat stone to knock off any burrs. Also, the pin was not to have more that .002" wear. I have no idea what it is supposed to be but, it looked real good.
This was a good experience and agree with Aussie when they say....

"If you can install a set of brakes you can install the Aussie Locker®."
I would rather do one of these than drum brakes.. I'll send out an update after the break in period.
The price shipped to my house was $322.

Nice! I'm getting one for the 8.25 that I'm building with 4.88 gears. I have one for the front and love it. I'm running a full Detroit now but don't plan on spending that kind of coin again. I'm leaving it in the rear end its in and saving it for another future rig. Let us know how the Aussie does and holds up.

Now shave your diff and get a RuffStuff cover and you will be good to go!

I like that in the tools needed you have a Busch Light

I like that in the tools needed you have a Busch Light

Haha. No project can be properly accomplished without the requisite amount of the proper adult beverage.

One must be careful to measure ones consumption during projects one is unfamiliar with, however. :roll:

Haha. No project can be properly accomplished without the requisite amount of the proper adult beverage.

One must be careful to measure ones consumption during projects one is unfamiliar with, however. :roll:

You are correct. This was number 1 popped during cleanup. So, all was safe.

If anyone would like to have a copy of the insallation instructions, PM me with an e-mail address, and it's yours.

Awesome! I've been wondering why nobody carries a locker for the 8.25. I believe they came with a limited slip diff. from the factory. Basically the old "sure grip" rear end from the muscle car era. Now I know what to buy. I want one!!

Awesome! I've been wondering why nobody carries a locker for the 8.25. I believe they came with a limited slip diff. from the factory.

Powertrax has sold the No-Slip for the 8.25 for some time now. Limited Slip was optional on the XJ 8.25, same as the D35.

Thanks for this thread. I love my Detroit in my D44 but my friend wants a locker for his rarely wheeled 8.25 so i said get an aussie and this thread just convinced him of how easy this is to install.

I'm callin BS on this whole thread......
I wanted 4.88's w/ a lunchbox locker when I started to build my jeep.
Nothing was available for the 29 spline 8.25 at the time.
Now that I'm all done building my 8.8 everything is available for the 8.25.
Let us know how you like the locker so I can cry about it a little more. :looney:

Nice job by the way :cheers:

I'm callin BS on this whole thread......
I wanted 4.88's w/ a lunchbox locker when I started to build my jeep.
Nothing was available for the 29 spline 8.25 at the time.
Now that I'm all done building my 8.8 everything is available for the 8.25.
Let us know how you like the locker so I can cry about it a little more. :looney:

Nice job by the way :cheers:
Sorry dud, I thought that stuff only happened to me.

I have only had ARB's in the past on my other Vehicles, just how loud are these Aussie lockers when turning? Is it kind of like a bad CV axle on a front wheel drive car or?? Do they unlock easily? (like for snow and ice on the highway?)

Its a great price (compared to ARB), and the ease of installation looks to be the ticket. Nice write up, Thanks!

~James

....just how loud are these Aussie lockers when turning? Is it kind of like a bad CV axle on a front wheel drive car or?? Do they unlock easily? (like for snow and ice on the highway?)

~James

Two things, it's good that the instructions tell you specifically that there will be noise. If not for that you 'd think something wasn't put back together correctly. To me the noise isn't so much about loud,,,, just one of deals where if you hadn't installed a locker that was supposed to do that, you be on here asking for advice/opinions.

I'm going to ride it out. I'll be meeting up with Jeeps-Gone-Wild group next Saturday for a run. Trip report to follow.

My front Aussie was loud for the first 2 years and then I went from 30's to 32's (both on 4.10's) and I don't even know its there anymore. Not sure if it just took a while for it to "wear in" or if the larger tires slowed the rotation enough that its not clicking as fast now.

Either case, I have beat on this locker and it keeps taking it. I have a Detroit in the rear now but when I build my other axle its getting Nitro 4.88's and the Aussie,

I can't see spending the money for a full Detroit ($650) for the same performance and less than half the cost. "If" the Aussie fails me off road I can repair it or remove it and put in my spiders and get home. Can't do that with the Detroit.

My $.02

It's nice to know that more products are coming out for the 8.25. The 4.88's for one. It's always nice to have more choices (especially less expensive ones).
Nice write up and good job showing the clean workspace and laid out tools. Nothing will help you timewise like knowing where all your tools are!

Cool, expected to see that you dropped the carrier. Good thing you did it in the jeep. :) For those with the 8.25, it takes nice long wrenches to adjust carrier backlash/preload.
Plan on doing your aussies in the jeep. I'm running a front lockright, and it's a great bang for the buck. In fact if you are running open/open, toss an aussie in the front, you'll be amazed. One kid at Moab was doing all sorts of stuff with only a front locker. Good write up.

Yea, I was surprised to find out that I didn't need to pull the carrier. That made it nice, and quick

I would really like to talk to the engineers about the tool that you're instructed to make out of a coat hanger. It just doesn't make any darn sense. I literally spent 30 minutes trying to find a metal coat hanger, making the tool and reading the instructions over and over.

I am looking forward to adding the aussie in the front. Just waiting for gas to come down a bit more so my wife will start driving her super duty again. Then I can switch the the other XJ fo DD and tear in. I'd really like to go ahead and replace the unti bearings, shaft joints, and ball joints all at once,,, then done for a while.

:conceited

how does it feel going around normal turns and such? ive always worried that if youre going up a hill around a turn it would push the vehicle weird. not a tight turn, but a turn you would normally take at 30 or 40MPH. you would have to have your foot on the gas since your going up a hill, which would engage the locker. id love to get an aussie, but just have no idea how it would feel. my wife drives the jeep from time to time and before putting one in, i would just want to make sure she would be able to handle it.

given the popularity of the aussie locker, im guessing i am over estimating how harsh it is, am i right?

Back