• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade Winch Bumper

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I started this project after I decided that I finally needed a winch. Originally I was going to buy a bumper, and bolt it all on. But most of the bumpers that I saw didn’t have what I really wanted: They stuck out really far, cutting down on approach angle, and didn’t seem to have enough mounting holes. So, I embarked on my fun project of making a bumper.

Winch bumpers range from $300-$600. I went down to my local steel store and bought $115 of steel: 6 feet of 2x6x.25 and 3 feet of 2x2. I already had ¼’’ and 1/8’’plate.

I searched around online, and found several bumpers that I decided to model mine after. I combined Hanson’s and JCR’s front bumpers, and came away with what I have now.

So all this sounds good? Want to make your own? Well here’s how I did it.

First take off the front grill and other stuff in the way of the winch being tucked up into the grill. This includes the plastic/fiberglass grill surrounding. The grill I will cut to fit around the winch.
Picture072.jpg

Picture069.jpg

Picture066-1.jpg

I started with making the frame brackets. They are made out of ¼’’. Make sure to incorporate the steering box bolts for extra strength and as a outside framerail brace. Notice how the D ring tabs are extra long. This allows them to stick through the 2x6 making them stronger and more welding surface.
Picture076.jpg

Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of what I did to the 2x6, but you can kind of see in the pictures that I do have. First the 2x6 the bottom cut out of it making it a U. Then the face was cut intermittently allowing it to fold down. Outside of where the frame brackets are, the 2x6 was bent back towards the Jeep.
I cut holes into the 2x6 and slid it onto the frame brackets to tack weld them together. The winch mount was then cut and welded in. It was made out of six pieces of ¼’’.
It looked something like: ----\______/----
An additional piece was welded on the back to bolt to the crossmember.

Again, I didn’t take enough pictures to really show how it all went together, but with the couple that I do have, you should be able to see how it went together.
Picture078-1.jpg

Picture079.jpg

Picture080.jpg

Picture084.jpg

A piece was added from the bumper extending back protecting the corner marker lights. Notice it in the pictures bellow.

From the frame mounts out to the outside of the bumper I skinned it with 1/8'' and added a brace with the 2x2'' to the additions mentioned above so I can use it as a high lift jack point.
Picture089-1.jpg

The rest was just finish up work. The shackle mounts are 3 pieces of ¼’’ for a total of ¾’’. The entire bumper is made out of ¼’’ minus the two skinned portions from the frame mounts out.
All finished waiting for paint:
Picture088-1.jpg

Picture087.jpg

Mostly finished with the winch all bolted up. Winch is the XD 9000.
Picture090.jpg

Picture092.jpg

Underside:
Picture081.jpg

Last edited:
Ending up, it weighs a lot. End weight was 102 lbs without the winch. Winch weighs 78 lbs. The weight wasn’t that big of a concern. I could have saved weight by using 1/8'' for a lot of it, but Id rather have it heavy then have it break. The main part of the bumper sticks out 6'' ahead of the headlights, with another 2'' for the roller fairlead and shackle mounts. Its held on with 17 bolts, so I don’t think it is going anywhere.

Overall, I like what I did. It took me about 5 days of working on it for 5 hours each day. Id say 15-20 hours total, although some of those ended up being used working on other things, and BSing with friends.

This is the bumper I took some ideas from.
XJwinchbumper1.jpg

winchbumperbottom.jpg

You can buy that bumper here:
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=XJB

I also found this pic on somewhere and started to use it. All the measurements I used seemed to work, but I ended up tracing something I had already made, so I cant really say for sure if they are correct.
hickeybiltframebrace7et.jpg

Here is a picture to show the approach angle before without a bumper.
Picture074.jpg

Then after bumper
Picture100-1.jpg

Shot showing the top
Picture099.jpg

Strait on
Picture096.jpg

Here are some pictures showing the final finished project/needless attention whoring. Added some Hella 500s and called it good.
P1010787.jpg

P1010833-1.jpg

P1010985.jpg

Final shot showing better approach angle.
S5030440.jpg

Let me know if there are any other pictures or info needed.

Ending up, it weighs a lot. End weight was 102 lbs without the winch. Winch weighs 78 lbs. The weight wasn’t that big of a concern. I could have saved weight by using 1/8'' for a lot of it, but Id rather have it heavy then have it break. The main part of the bumper sticks out 6'' ahead of the headlights, with another 2'' for the roller fairlead and shackle mounts. Its held on with 17 bolts, so I don’t think it is going anywhere.

Overall, I like what I did. It took me about 5 days of working on it for 5 hours each day. Id say 15-20 hours total, although some of those ended up being used working on other things, and BSing with friends.

This is the bumper I took some ideas from.
XJwinchbumper1.jpg

winchbumperbottom.jpg

You can buy that bumper here:
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=XJB

I also found this pic on somewhere and started to use it. All the measurements I used seemed to work, but I ended up tracing something I had already made, so I cant really say for sure if they are correct.
hickeybiltframebrace7et.jpg

Here is a picture to show the approach angle before without a bumper.
Picture074.jpg

Then after bumper
Picture100-1.jpg

Shot showing the top
Picture099.jpg

Strait on
Picture096.jpg

Here are some pictures showing the final finished project/needless attention whoring. Added some Hella 500s and called it good.
P1010787.jpg

P1010833-1.jpg

P1010985.jpg

Final shot showing better approach angle.
S5030440.jpg

Let me know if there are any other pictures or info needed.

Great to see some quality tech in this forum. Nice Job :clap:

what did you cut the bumper with? I started making my own out of 3x6 with a 1/4" wall and i am going through cut-off wheels like every 3 minutes?

does a sawzall work better?

anyone?

what did you cut the bumper with? I started making my own out of 3x6 with a 1/4" wall and i am going through cut-off wheels like every 3 minutes?

does a sawzall work better?

anyone?

I used a plasma cutter, but a grinder or sawzal will work.

pic no worky, i would really like how you built it, really cool bumper! i need to have a bumper made, id like to get some ideas how you did yours, but no pics!! argh

Sorry guys, apparently photobucket thinks I uploaded to many pictures. They say all the pictures will be back up today sometime, so look later this afternoon.

Back