• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing JK shocks on an XJ (write up)

FreemansXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am not sure if this will interest anyone, but I just installed 2007 Wrangler Rubicon (JK) shocks on my 97 Cherokee with a 3" Skyjacker lift. I did some research and found that the JK Rubicon shocks are the same length as the shocks supplied with most 3" to 4" lifts. I found mine as new take-offs on Ebay for $30.00 + $20.00 shipping.

Here are my new $50.00 shocks:

100_1883.jpg

I started off by removing my obviously worn out Skyjackers. You will need the Bar Pins, so don't forget to press them out:

100_1884.jpg

You will need to press out the metal collar on the lower shock mount of the Rubicon ones. I found the best way was to use a 4" extension and a spark plug socket. I placed these in my vise and cranked away (go both ways at first to avoid damaging the bushing):

100_1888.jpg

Continued on the next post...... :)

Once I had the metal collars out, I then pressed in the bar pins. I rounded off the sharp edge of the bar pins and then oiled it down. It took very little pressure to get through the bushing and I noticed no damage:

100_1889.jpg

Once the bar pins were installed, I mounted up the new shocks:

100_1886.jpg

For the rear, I started off by chiseling out the upper rear nuts (there are plenty of write-ups on this, so I will skip through that part). Once I had the tops mounted, I realized that the lower shock mount on the new Rubicon shocks also have a metal collar. You guessed it, they are smaller than the shock mounts on my 97...LOL. I returned to the vise and removed these collars the same way that I did the front. I re-installed the upper mounts and then lubed the lower mount down. The lower mount goes on with a little shove..

I drove around for a bit and thought that they were a little stiffer than my worn out skyjackers, but they were not too stiff.

Hope this helps,

JOhn

Do you have the measurements for the JK shocks?

I did the same thing a couple months back, except you seem to have had an easier time than I. I was also doing it in 112 degree weather... so yeah...

I encountered all the same problems, in reverse order though, haha. I did the rears first then the fronts a week later.

I also used a home made BPE from the stock rear sway bar end links, so had to press out the upper Bar Pins in the rear... not too much more work in any case.

In fact, I paid the same price as you did. How do you like the ride? Mine definately improved!

Thanks for the writeup, that should help me to sell the JK shocks I´ve lying around.

It should!!! :) And you could even measure them for BogHog above ^^^^

As far as the ride goes, I have had them on for a few miles now and like them alot. I have the 3" Skyjacker lift (for now) and it rides very good going down the road. I have not had a chance to go way off road yet, but they work good for light trail driving.

John

The following is a direct quote from HeeptoJeep over on JF. I used his information and some of my own digging to do the write up...Hope this helps:

The stock take-offs from JKs are good for 3-4in of lift (5in if adding BPE), they're gas charged, made by Tenneco and have a built in shock boot. The guys lifting their newer Wranglers sell them cheap or just give them away.....I picked up two sets for my XJs for a whopping $60.00 total.

Edit: I'll add the specs of these substitutes.

Front
Closed Length 17in (stock XJ length 12.77in)
Open Length 24.50in (stock XJ length 21.14in)
Depending on which shock brand you compare these to you may need to add some additional bumpstop and/or lose an inch of droop (lower articulation).

Rear
Closed Length 16in (stock XJ length 12.73in)
Open Length 24in (stock XJ length 20.61in)
Depending on which shock brand you compare these to you may need to add some additional bumpstop and/or lose half an inch of droop (lower articulation).

JK stock curbweights 3760-4340lbs
XJ stock curbweight 3057lbs

As you can tell from the curbweight comparison above the JKs are heavier than the XJs so the shocks have a slightly higher valve rate (firmer ride). A lot of Wrangler guys say their stock shocks are too soft so in my opinion that makes them perfect for the lighter XJs. My Jeep's almost always loaded down with tools, parts and baby stuff but the ride is never mushy and when it's not loaded down it doesn't bounce me all around like a buggy seat.

The only "modification" I had to do was to use a vise, large socket and grease to press my old barpins into the new shocks because on Wranglers they're held on by bolts....if you use barpin eliminators you can obviously skip that hassle. For all around use I think those shocks are a great substitute.

Wm

Are the shock shafts small and prone to bending during flex?

Not sure, I have heard about the Wrangler guys bending front axle shafts, but I haven't heard on the shocks. My Cherokee, so far, has only been on light off-road trips. The shocks are working perfect for what I needed (cheap, decent ride).

JOhn

I think they ride just fine. I have put several road miles and light trail runs on them so far. If you are concerned about them being a bit too stiff, you can use the regular JK shocks off of the X or Sahara, as they offer a little softer ride (I am told).

JOhn

Old thread thats been revived I realize, but I've seen a jk bend a shock on a real easy trail.

Old thread thats been revived I realize, but I've seen a jk bend a shock on a real easy trail.

I figured it would be better than creating a new thread. Besides I figured I would as. Can't be much worse than the rancho I broke flexing when the shock was made for a 2 in lift.

I'd like to bump this up and get more info. I been looking at JK shocks lately and noticed there seems to be two sizes. One set is 2" shorter than the other set. I see some with rear shocks at 24.5" and some with rear shocks at 22.5". Does anyone know which models come with what?

Back