• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Heep Project...

squirrel80

NAXJA Forum User
Well here is the start
DSC03569.jpg

Picking up two for the price of one. The green one is my project, the white one is badly beaten but has some good parts.
DSC03579.jpg

DSC03580.jpg

DSC03584.jpg

Front and rear JK Dana 44s a lot of fab work to be done. I will be trussing both the front and rear and adding all new brackets. In the front I will be able to run the JK upper and lower controll arm mounts.
DSC03686.jpg

Transfer case is getting some goodies also. Which led to the transmission getting jealous so I pulled it out also to be gone through.
DSC03772.jpg

DSC03774.jpg

Well I'm waiting for the tranny and transfer to get back so I started to figure out how much fender I'm going to remove. I guess the front driver fender has been changed once already but that seems to be the only sing of damage on the whole jeep. Also I have a header on the way that I will be installing before I start to put the rest of the drivetrain back together. So here is my start and I will continue with pics as I make progress. I'm hoping to have it done some time in October.

looks like you'll be having fun with that project. By the way, what make,model, and size trailer is that?

Nice set-up, when i was talking to your buddy he told me about these.. I want some too..If you need help on a weekend let me know.. I work every other one.. I can lend a hand to set them in mine oooppps, i mean your jeep... What part of P.S. you live in?

I am trying to hold on to the white jeep as a source of bolts and misc. for those late night "if I only had this bolt" That and most of the good stuff is spoken for. As a matter of fact it may become a trailer for my buddies XJ.
The trailer is a freind of a friend of mines and it was not easy to get him to part with it. I think a lot of people have use for a double car hauler. I'm not sure of the brand but it is a 32'. I have had more PMs on the trailer than anything I have talked about on here.
Scott I am in the Panorama Park area of Cathedral City. I have a list of volunteers for these axles but I think I can put them to a good test. I have a friend that you might know helping me with the more elaborate fab work. Mostly the cage and axle mock up. Rusty from the Works. I apreciate theoffer and will let you know if I need anything. Right now I'm trying to fing some ruuber fender trim for my cut fenders, Rock Lizzard is out of stock. I have a feeling with 4" wider axles I'm going to need Bushwackers though. I will get it running first before I spend any money on cosmetics.

squirrel80 said:
I have a feeling with 4" wider axles I'm going to need Bushwackers though. I will get it running first before I spend any money on cosmetics.

Don't run bushwackers....

squirrel80 said:
Well I really like the Hannaman fiberglass fronts, but can't decide what to do with the rear. I have looked at so many different flares that I'm over it. Cut sheet metal is the look for now.

You'll have to cut alot more to get those to fit, I just took a set off the jeep I just bought, and it looks like crap under there. Mainly the rears.

Did you get a good deal on those axles?

I'm hoping the tires will square out a bit and loose a little height once they are mounted. I'm cutting to the spot weld in the rear and folding over the rest in to the wheel well. They will be opened up as far as the inner wheel tub will let it. What looks bad under your jeep did they hack it up pretty bad or what? The axles are a steal $3,056 to my dealer tax and everything for both! 4.10gears and electric lockers, disc brakes, calipers and pads. I will be going to a lower gear later but still a smoking deal.

Last edited:
I was just looking at an XJ on the Rubicon a few weeks ago that had JK axles under it. It had stock flares and it didn't look too wide at all. Tires were about where they would be with stock axles and steelies. He didn't know what backspacing the rims were, but they were aftermarket and aluminum.

Run stock OEM wheels, and the width of the JK axles will be compensated for.....by the way, sweeeet looking project! What size are those KM2's?

I'm going to be running a 17X8.5 KMC Beadlock with a 4.5" backspace. They have been on backorder for a couple of months, so thats why I have not mounted them yet. I'm kinda looking forward to the extra width I'm just hoping that I can stuff it all under there when it flexes. The tire size is a 35X12.5X17. And I already have a stock set of Rubicon wheels for backup. I'm planning on putting a set of small take off tires on the Rubicon wheels so I can fit the jeep in my Toybox. My friends jeep fits with a 6" lift and 33s so I'm hoping mine will just make it aired down.

squirrel80 said:
I am trying to hold on to the white jeep as a source of bolts and misc. for those late night "if I only had this bolt" That and most of the good stuff is spoken for. As a matter of fact it may become a trailer for my buddies XJ.
The trailer is a freind of a friend of mines and it was not easy to get him to part with it. I think a lot of people have use for a double car hauler. I'm not sure of the brand but it is a 32'. I have had more PMs on the trailer than anything I have talked about on here.
Scott I am in the Panorama Park area of Cathedral City. I have a list of volunteers for these axles but I think I can put them to a good test. I have a friend that you might know helping me with the more elaborate fab work. Mostly the cage and axle mock up. Rusty from the Works. I apreciate theoffer and will let you know if I need anything. Right now I'm trying to fing some ruuber fender trim for my cut fenders, Rock Lizzard is out of stock. I have a feeling with 4" wider axles I'm going to need Bushwackers though. I will get it running first before I spend any money on cosmetics.

I'll volunteer Scott to come over and help you work on it... :looney: he likes the heat... me I'm wait'n till fall...

You coming Fri. Eve. ??

Curt

Xtreme XJ said:
I'll volunteer Scott to come over and help you work on it... :looney: he likes the heat... me I'm wait'n till fall...

You coming Fri. Eve. ??

Curt

Yep I'll be there. Well not a whole lot got done this weekend, My torque converter did not come in Friday, so the tranny could not go back in and I am still waiting on the header. Anyway I got all my fenders trimmed and started to put my motor mounts and block brackets in. The passanger side already had a bolt broken off in the block so that took me a while to remove. Anyway hoping to make a ton of progress this weekend if parts come.

if you need any help, I'm still jobless so I'm available everyday of the week right now...

Well I am a very happy camper right now. Just when i thought that i would not get my header for this weekend, it just arrived! Now I am having trouble concentrating at work, I want to go home and start putting stuff together. This weekends plans include installing header, modifing More block bracket to fit header, motor mount, install tranny, and rear main sear and oil pan gasket. If you see me on this computer this weekend, yell at me and tell me to get back in the garage.

Back