• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Evaporator/Heater Core Replacement - How-To:

xjguy98

NAXJA Forum User
CONTUNUED FROM PART 1...

IMG_0361.jpg

5) Between the evaporator tubes and heater core tubes, you'll see a small vacuum hose. Disconnect it from the tee-fitting.
6) This is the biggest pain I found for this entire job. Removing the five mounting nuts. You'll find one just outboard of the blower motor. The next two are holding the accumulator mounting bracket to the firewall. The next one is just to the right of the engine centerline and above the valve cover (on the firewall, looking forward) and the WORST is about 6" below it behind the cylinder head. I was able to use a 7/16" socket for the first four but the bottom one I had to use a long box end wrench and turn it a little at a time. Be very careful not to drop it as it'll end up on the bellhousing and you'll never get it back.

Here you can see two of the five mounting points as well as the tee fitting for the vaccum line (top right):

IMG_0362.jpg

7) After you are able to remove the five mounting nuts, go back inside and gently pull the entire HVAC box rearward to clear the studs/drain hose from the firewall. This is what you should end up with:

Almost there....

IMG_0363.jpg

Gone....

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

Now it's time to break the box down and actually do what we set out to do. Replace the evaporator or heater core.

1) Unplug the vaccum lines from the floor door actuator on the lower left side of the box as well as unplug the vaccum line from the recirc door actuator on the right side.

Floor Door Actuator:

IMG_0366.jpg

Recirc Door Actuator:

IMG_0367.jpg

2) Disengage any vaccum line from any clips on the lower half of the housing.
3) Disengage the blower motor harness and relay from their holes in the upper half of the housing:

IMG_0368.jpg

4) Unplug and remove the blower motor from the housing

IMG_0371.jpg

5) Remove the foam seals from the blower motor surround and the evap/heater tube surround. I bought new seals ($60) so I didn't care what the old ones turned out like but I'm sure with patience, a heat gun and a scraper you could salvage both.

IMG_0372.jpg

6) Pop off the two snap clips on the left forward side of the housing and remove the 14 screws securing the two halves.
7) After making sure everything is disconnected/removed, carefully lift the top half off the bottom half. It might take a bit of coaxing but it should come off easily enough. Set the top half aside.

This is what I was left with. Looking down on the bottom half of the housing:

IMG_0373.jpg

And this chunk of foam is what sat under the evaporator....nicely rotted away

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

8) After the two halves are apart, simply lift the old evaporator and heater core out of the housing. When replacing either or both of these, all the foam rubber seals need to be transferred over to the new part. Be careful when taking them off because I don't know of any part numbers for them.

For install, just reverse everything. I used RTV sealant when I reinstalled the blower motor just to make sure it never leaked again.

IMG_0385.jpg

New foam installed:

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0387.jpg

HVAC box installed:

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

Accumulator installed:

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

When replacing the evaporator, be sure and add 2oz. of PAG100 oil to it before you seal everything up. With the accumulator, I added 4oz.

After the HVAC box is installed and hooked up, simply re-install the dash. I added adhesive felt to all the point where I thought two trim pieces would make contact just to tighten/dampen any contact and reduce noise. Driving the Jeep around today it seemed a lot less prone to those "cracks" that are common with our Jeeps. It took a bit more time to do all that but I think it was worth it. When are you gonna have your dash out again right?

Once you have everything semi-installed and connected, start the Jeep up and check for any problems. My heater core leaked so I need to pull everything apart again and sort that out. As well, my turn signals for some reason don't wanna work but I think it was related to all the pulling and tugging I did with that one connector on the left side. Check your lights, stereo, heater controls, steering (if you removed the steering column) gauge cluster...everything. If nothing works, fix it. After you have EVERYTHING working and buttoned up, get the A/C system evacuated again and recharged. Get them to leak check it and if there are leaks, well, get them fixed. I'm not at this stage yet but hopefully in a few days I can sort out the heater core and have my A/C back and blowing cold again.

If anyone has any problems or questions about how to do this, feel free to PM me and I'll get back to you as quick as I can. It's a daunting task to be sure but once you've done it once, it's not so bad.

thanks for confirming that even with 30 years in residential hvac ill be paying someone to do this lifes too short and im too old looks like a heartattack wrapped in a black box excellant write up though good pics im sure id have thrown the camera across the yard somewhere between screw4 and 5

Thanks for the write up. I am in the middle of swapping the evaporator on my 97 and I have used this as a guide. Where did you get your foam? Advanced didn't have it. Thanks.

So im in the process of doing my heatercore and im working on that 5th bolt. Is it the one behind the engine that is holding some sort of tube in place? Its about 6 inches down from the other one but I dont see how I would get it off. There's a bracket holding it with another twist on bolt or something

Im stumped...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for all their help and info on this thread. I am finishing up this job and went to test out all the electricals before putting everything back together and find out that everything works fine except the radio only works on blower fan speed 1. On other speeds it shuts off. Also if I don't use the HVAC at all the radio works fine. I put in a brand new blower resistor also but to no avail. Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Its pretty straight forward seems a bit intimidating but very dooable.
1) start by removing the steering wheel
2) remove the dash and center console
3) to get the hvac box out you need ac line disconnect tools
4 removed heater hoses aswell
5) open the box up!

lol this should help

this is the best i could find i'm surprised these pictures are gone

http://www.jeepair.com/documents/TJ-Directions-00-01.pdf

Edit: this gives you a general idea what to do.. but its pretty straight forward when you start tearing everything apart. Just replace the foam inside the box with new stuff to help prevent the air from by passing the evap.

Back