NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 3rd, 2006, 15:45
NAXJA Forum User

Thumbs up ORO U-Turn Steering

When I bought my XJ, it had already had several modifications made to it by the previous owner, among them, he had installed Rusty's XJ/ZJ/TJ/YJ Tie-Rod Conversion (http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/m...egory_Code=ste)... essentially an inverted "T". This setup was, to put it mildly, less than adequate. On the highway, it wanted to wander all over the place, had bad bump/brake steer and a HUGE dead spot in the middle.
Soooo... I decided to drop a big chunk-o-change on the U-Turn by Off-Road Only (http://www.offroadonly.com/products/new/u-turn/).
The instructions were VERY thorough, installation was VERY easy, and so far, the resulting steering characteristics are highly favorable. No more dead spot, bump/brake steer is still there, albeit only a small fraction of what it was before. Unfortunately, I haven't had it off-road yet as I just found that I also have a bad engine mount.
Like I mentioned, it is expensive ($650 + shipping) but I'm a novice welder and have limited tools available. This kit really is 100% bolt-on. All in all, I'm very pleased and would recommend this setup to anyone wanting something more from their current steering setup.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 16:22
NAXJA Forum User

Re: ORO U-Turn Steering

jeepin jason was pleased with his as well.
NEED PICS!!!!
Old June 3rd, 2006, 19:18
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjackedxj96
jeepin jason was pleased with his as well.
NEED PICS!!!!

Old June 3rd, 2006, 19:20
NAXJA Member

I'd imagine the bumpsteer is still there because the trac bar hasn't been relocated.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 19:23
Jeeper

X
X
X
X
Thats all I got.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 19:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatplow5150
When I bought my XJ, it had already had several modifications made to it by the previous owner, among them, he had installed Rusty's XJ/ZJ/TJ/YJ Tie-Rod Conversion (http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/m...egory_Code=ste)... essentially an inverted "T". This setup was, to put it mildly, less than adequate. On the highway, it wanted to wander all over the place, had bad bump/brake steer and a HUGE dead spot in the middle.
Soooo... I decided to drop a big chunk-o-change on the U-Turn by Off-Road Only (http://www.offroadonly.com/products/new/u-turn/).
The instructions were VERY thorough, installation was VERY easy, and so far, the resulting steering characteristics are highly favorable. No more dead spot, bump/brake steer is still there, albeit only a small fraction of what it was before. Unfortunately, I haven't had it off-road yet as I just found that I also have a bad engine mount.
Like I mentioned, it is expensive ($650 + shipping) but I'm a novice welder and have limited tools available. This kit really is 100% bolt-on. All in all, I'm very pleased and would recommend this setup to anyone wanting something more from their current steering setup.

I have that same Rustys setup with the same "deadspot" and pop in the middle... it's where it rubs on the tracbar bolt on the axle end... sucks, I'm gonna do a flex rod, OTK inserts and right hand drive draglink here before long.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 20:07
NAXJA Forum User

OK, let's try this again (my web server is giving me fits!)

Old June 3rd, 2006, 20:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 Jeep Project
I'd imagine the bumpsteer is still there because the trac bar hasn't been relocated.
Agreed. As it is right now, the track bar should be mounted right about where the steering stabilizer is mounted. Not sure it's something that I want to tackle at this point though since the bumpsteer is minimal at its worst.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 20:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Agreed. As it is right now, the track bar should be mounted right about where the steering stabilizer is mounted. Not sure it's something that I want to tackle at this point though since the bumpsteer is minimal at its worst.
no you should tackle that as soon as you can! that stabilizer masks a lot of the feedback you are getting. take it off and see how it rides.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 23:18
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 Jeep Project
Quote:
In addition to the panhard and draglink being parallel, they both have to be about the same length to eliminate 100% bump steer because it makes a perfect parallelogram. That is virtually impossible when you run a crossover set up like that. That is why some opt to go inverted T.

DirtboundOffroad always takes great care of me
Old June 3rd, 2006, 23:27
NAXJA Forum User

it looks like you have the draglink upside-down compared to the pictures on the website; they have the bend in their's so that it gives more clearance to the oil pan.

it looks like the Ackerman gets really screwed up with the tie-rod location, do you hear the front tires squealing a bit more on sharp pavement turns?
Old June 3rd, 2006, 23:32
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettM
it looks like you have the draglink upside-down compared to the pictures on the website; they have the bend in their's so that it gives more clearance to the oil pan.

it looks like the Ackerman gets really screwed up with the tie-rod location, do you hear the front tires squealing a bit more on sharp pavement turns?
The draglink is installed as per the directions. The bend is on the axle end to clear the stock swaybar mounts. Works like a charm... no tire squealing noticed at all.
What the hell is Ackerman????
Old June 3rd, 2006, 23:36
NAXJA Forum User

Ackerman is having the inside tire turn more in a turn than the outside tire to account for the larger turning radius at the outside. "proper" Ackerman is achieved by a straight line from the TRE connections, through the balljoints, to the center of the rear axle. Moving the TRE connections in like that produces worse Ackerman and therefore, worse turning radius, increased tire wear and decreased traction in a turn. Those are all technical downsides though I don't know how much of a problem it actually is in real life.
Old June 4th, 2006, 07:13
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettM
I thought the same thing as soon as I saw the pic Brett.

You do have the draglink on backwards, you need to flip it around.
Old June 4th, 2006, 07:51
NAXJA Forum User

I just built a new tie rod for mine yeaterday. My Ackerman was all screwy from the tie rod attaching to the high steer arm on a WJ knuckle. It wandered around like really bad bump steer...sort of. The new tie rod attaches to the regular spot on the knuckle, but on top with some spacers. Like a night and day difference for handling.

Why would ORO build something like that, and have the TR hanging almost as low as the stock set up??

-Dan