NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old June 3rd, 2008, 13:44
NAXJA Forum User

Fan Overide switch Late Model

Yes I tried searching first! I have a 2000 XJ, I want to install a switch to override my Aux Fan. I want to do this because currently my Trans Cooler is mounted in front of the Radiator to take advantage of the Mechanical fan, Unfortunately this blocks a lot of air flow. If I move it to the other side it greatly improves the air flow and if I can override the Aux fan when Crawling it will cool the trans. My Idea is that if I tie into the ECU fan wire and install a Diode, and then intall a switch wired after the new diode, would this cause any issues I am not counting on.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 14:00
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Fan Overide switch Late Model

This ought to help you out http://www.soxja.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=575
Old June 3rd, 2008, 14:02
NAXJA Forum User

http://www.projectxj.com/mods/stocker/fan.switch.htm

Im running this one, it has pics.

Its a really great mod.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 14:56
NAXJA Forum User

My thoughts are why cant you just tie into the wire that goes from the factory ECU to the Factory fan relay, install a diode in front of the new wire so there is no feed back to the ECU and eliminate having to install a second relay etc..????
Old June 5th, 2008, 12:11
NAXJA Member #929

I just dropped a relay and 10 gauge wire under the hood. spliced B+ into the fan hot lead off the harness, wired the relay to a switch and .... done. When the new switch is off the fan operates normally, when I want it on i flip the switch. The new switch is wired in parallel so no voltage issues.

my $.02
Old June 6th, 2008, 08:07
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyXJ
I just dropped a relay and 10 gauge wire under the hood. spliced B+ into the fan hot lead off the harness, wired the relay to a switch and .... done. When the new switch is off the fan operates normally, when I want it on i flip the switch. The new switch is wired in parallel so no voltage issues.

my $.02
That was my first thought because of no ECU issues, then after thinking about it, is when I asked myself why not just use the factory relay and ECU feed with a diode in-line on the ECU feed. It eliminates all but one wire. Just trying to find someone to tell me if I am missing something because it is a ultra simple solution.