• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop Brackets vs Long Arms

btfury

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I'm trying to make up my mind on what I'm eventually going to do with my suspension. Right now I've got an RE 4.5in SF kit, and eventually want to go with either long arms or short arm drop brackets.

If I go long arms, I'll go with the BDS kit (I like T&T's and all, just not a fan of radius arms). If I go DBs, I'll have to get new Upper Adjustable CA's as well, so the cost for the RC DBs, RE Braces and new RE SF Adj UCAs would be $522, where as the BDS kit would run me $849 (found a guy who would sell me a BDS LA "upgrade." Belly pan and Long Arms minus all of the other suspension components).

So for $300 more I could have long arms... But, I wouldn't want to run Long Arms just for the sake being a badass and running long arms when short arms could be set up to flex just as much and give the same performance.

Basically I'd like some opinions on Drop Brackets vs Long Arms... Pros, cons, advantages, disadvantages... Thanks

Showing my ignorance here, but:
when you get drop brackets, don't they include brackets to drop the upper control arms as well as the lowers?(the point of the drop brackets is to restore factory stock-like control arm geometry) so why would you need adjustable UCAs?

anyway; my opinion: Long arm kit for long suspension travel.
That means: Longer springs/shocks to go with the long arms.

Drop brackets on any short arm kit above3-3.5 inches to restore geometry on a suspension kit that doesn't radically increase suspension travel.

Well yes they include brackets to drop the upper arms as well as the lowers, but from what I've read it's good to run Adj Uppers with DBs... couldn't tell you why though.

The way I feel is this, go long arms now, your going to want to do them in a few months anyways. Whether it is to join the club, to get better flex or because you do a taller lift you will regret DBs.

-Alex

^ Ditto. At that price you might as well. I've ran both nothing compares to a quality longarm kit like the 2 you mentioned as well as some of the others. I've had damn good flex with both the only downside I noticed with the dropbrackets is you lose ground clearance. With the longarm kit you have the option to step up a little taller plus with the belly pan and everything you get a pretty stout frame especially when you add bumpers and frame stiffeners.

Go with the BDS upgrade, it is the SHIZNIT!!!:cool:

This argument goes on and on. Everybody likes certain things about both of them and they will always claim that one is better than the other.

My budget is tight. Expecially with the Gas prices nowadays. I went with Rough Country's drop brackets and braces for just over $200 delivered. They rock. The price was great as well. I went wheelin this weekend in the back mountains of Alaska and flexed like I never have before. The on road ride in just like stock again. I wouldn't go back.

I'm at 5.5" running 35's with fenders trimmed. I'm very happy with my XJ right now.

Anybody else? I was told on Jeepforum that a lot of the "NAXJA Gurus" run Drop Brackets and like them more than Long Arms...

btfury said:
Anybody else? I was told on Jeepforum that a lot of the "NAXJA Gurus" run Drop Brackets and like them more than Long Arms...
Well you can't believe everything you read... especially on that site. But I can think of four members off hand right now that are running DBs on pretty big rigs, no plans to change.

I'm going to be running them with my "new setup" (see build thread in sig) mainly because I already have them and if I want to be wheelin' sometime within the next decade I need to stop spending money on stuff I already have. :)

Anyway, another way to look at it is, what do you already have? Can you get buy for the time being without the Adj. Uppers? While not ideal, if what you have isn't stockers it would be ok. If you have the short arms already then it isn't much to jump to DBs, it sure is cheaper than a long arm setup.

Also, what type of wheelin' and road driving do you do? If its something simple now and will only get slightly more later than maybe long arms are the way to go. Yet, if you plan on going 'super hardcore' in the near future, buy the cheaper DBs as most likely you'll be building a truly custom front suspension when you get to that stage.

So, I'm my case I'll see how the DBs work out for now and when they are beat up or I have some extra cash, I'll be fabricating something of my own.

On a side note, BDS does have a GREAT reputation for their warranty.

Last edited:
Drop brackets work really well for what they are.

Skip the upgrade to adjustable UCA's. You'll have to crank them all the way "short" to get your caster right, unless you have adjustable lowers you can extend a bit. I ended up cutting my UCA mounts off of the axle and moving them forward to fix it.

I'm running 6.75" lift, adjustable uca's, fixed lca's, 35's .. and have been for several years with no problems at all. I do almost feel that going to adjustable uppers was a waste of money, it worked just as well with fixed uppers.

You don't need them below 4" at all, just to correct that. They both have their pluses. I do not know if I am one of the "Gurus" or not, but I run the DBs. It really comes down to what you want to spend, and what your goals are. For people who already have short arms, I recommend just stepping up to the brackets. It is much cheaper that way. If you are starting from scratch, get long arms, It costs about the same in the long run. If you are after extreme clearance, go for something like the TnT kit. However, that being said, I've never caught my brackets on anything. Alot of people will argue why one is better than the other. I say they both have their place, and I would not have any problems running either design on my rig.

yes. The RE 5.5" kit comes with drop brackets and the arms that you have now, with a different set of springs.

You'd be amazed how it rides if you add DB's.

Would they also push my axle a little forward? Because I noticed with fixed lowers, I had to trim the most towards the back of the wheel well...

Also, would there be a difference in flex between running all adjustable arms and fixed arms?

btfury said:

Maybe because they cannot/willnot afford them:shocked: Longarms ARE the way to go if you can afford them!!

btfury said:
Also, would there be a difference in flex between running all adjustable arms and fixed arms?

Adjustables allow proper placement of axel including castor. No real improvment on flex.

btfury said:
Would they also push my axle a little forward? Because I noticed with fixed lowers, I had to trim the most towards the back of the wheel well...

Yes, it will push them forward some.

5.5", 32's, drop brackets and fixed uppers and lowers.

87%20mojave%20river%20bed.jpg

6.75", fixed lowers, adjustable uppers, 35's, and the axle pushed forward an extra 3/4" or so by bracketry

DSC00026.JPG

ColoradoRaptor said:
Maybe because they cannot/willnot afford them:shocked: Longarms ARE the way to go if you can afford them!!

... ok, so why are they the way to go? Seems to me like the people who used to run DBs and then run Long Arms don't see much of an improvement...

Back