NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 19th, 2008, 09:08
NAXJA Forum User

Old Man Emu AAL/D22XL Install

Can anyone provide some tips on installing the OME AAL? I installed a the OME lift in my XJ about a year and a half ago and didn't realize how often I would load it up, etc. so I have decided to put in the extra leaf.

One question that I have is if I can intstall the new leaf without removing the main spring or if I have to take the whole spring pack out and reassemble before reinstalling it.

Thanks!
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:20
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Old Man Emu AAL/D22XL Install

I left my springs in place. It shouldnt be too hard to neutralize the springs, loosen the end keepers, remove yer centerpins, slide the AALs in, and reassemble everything. I bought the aals directly after my install, not even two months after installing the OME suspension. Good call on your part, if you tow alot like I do. (Horse trailers here, mostly). Theres no real "Tips". Its a straight forward install.
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:51
NAXJA Forum User

That's pretty much it. I suppose one should put in new U bolts, but I reused mine and have not had a problem. I've heard that you can use two of the AALs, but have not called to ask about it (DPG). I could still use a bit more stiffening even after the AAL. I'm also thinking about a 1-1.5" shackle--not sure yet, though. I know I need to crank up the ACOS after adding the ARB bumper and winch--they really settled the OME springs a bit.
Old May 19th, 2008, 14:28
NAXJA Forum User

Thank you both!