• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ATTN: CA Stroker Guys v.smog

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
I'm starting the planning & research phase of a stroker buildup, and of course, in California, the biggest question is passing the smog test.

I've been searching, but the infomation is scattered throughout many threads and smog laws are always changing. So, I'm looking to collect some current info on what you guys are running, what passes, and what doesn't.

So... What're your specs and how has the smog man treated you?

If you know any tips and tricks that have helped you pass, post them here too (ie. smog check in the morning when it's cooler, octane booster, smaller tires, adjustable map sensor, adjustabe fuel pressure regulator, etc)

Thanks,
Billy

No tips, never had my hand in a build. BUT!!! I do know that FarmerMatt has one of the most built strokers out there.... he passes no problem. Maybe send him a PM as he is SUPER BUSY with work right now.

My stroker was based off a 91 HO. It's a 4.6L with a buch of head work done. The heads are using chevy intake & exhaust valves along with extensive porting & polishing. I'm using 30# FMS injectors. I've had to smog it twice since I've thrown it in the JD without a problem. I just had it smogged this last spring in fact. I live in an area where I have to smog it on the rollers. I run the motor on premium fuel or it'll start pinging...

Even if it burns clean you might not pass the visual part of the inspection. I have to smog my '90 in the next couple weeks. It passed fine last time but since then I have put on a K&N filter with Rustys intake and rigged the EGR valve. To pass visual I will have to put back on the stock airbox with that useless thermostatic pre heat valve and connect the EGR before I go in. Yep on rollers in Santa Clara county as well. It's a sketchy thing with some jerk in your ring ramping it up on rollers with 35's.

Some counties in california don't require a smog. Check this list about half way down the page: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2535

MachineMan said:
Even if it burns clean you might not pass the visual part of the inspection. I have to smog my '90 in the next couple weeks. It passed fine last time but since then I have put on a K&N filter with Rustys intake and rigged the EGR valve. To pass visual I will have to put back on the stock airbox with that useless thermostatic pre heat valve and connect the EGR before I go in. Yep on rollers in Santa Clara county as well. It's a sketchy thing with some jerk in your ring ramping it up on rollers with 35's.

Some counties in california don't require a smog. Check this list about half way down the page: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2535

Yeah, I delt with the airbox thing before. In regards to the dyno testing... I saw it mentioned that you could put smaller tires on your rig to make the RPM higher at 25MPH and increase your chances of passing... if one had an Atlas (or similar) could they shift the rear into low range and achieve the same effect?
Thanks,
Billy

Heck, I don't need to smog any of my cars out here.
I think it hasto do with the farmers needing to burn the chafe from their fields so the smog rules are different out here.
Borrego Springs, home of the big block in small cars!
Rick R

JeepFreak21 said:
Yeah, I delt with the airbox thing before. In regards to the dyno testing... I saw it mentioned that you could put smaller tires on your rig to make the RPM higher at 25MPH and increase your chances of passing... if one had an Atlas (or similar) could they shift the rear into low range and achieve the same effect?
Thanks,
Billy
Or you could just take it to a smog guy who knows his ass from a hole in the ground and he will leave it in a lower gear for the same effect. Most of the smoggers will just leave it in drive or OD, but putting it in 1-2 will keep it in second and have the same effect.

Well, I think I've finished collecting CRASH's specs from 47 different threads. Anybody know if he's had any problems smogging it?
Billy

Renix block & head
~9.5:1 compression
Mopar Performance Renix ECU
258 crank
Eagle 258 rods
Isky 133125/26 cam
58 mm throttle body
26 cc dish pistons, 1.370 pin height, 5/64-3/16-3/16 grooves, sealed power moly rings, pin oiling holes

I've got a Hesco built 4.6. It's got their cnc head and h264 cam, stock size valves, uses 4.0 rods and custom forged pistons, '95 block, 0630 ('96-'98) head, 9.4:1 compression. With Airaid intake and stock tb at time of smogging(custom now with 68mm tb), borla headers and 2.5" exhaust from downpipe back, carsound cat, magnaflow muff, 180 degree t-stat. First attempt at smogg failed on NOx (high combustion temps cause this). Well below limits on CO and HC. So I switched to one step colder plugs than stock and passed.

Adjustable MAP and fuel pressure regulator won't help to pass smog. They only come into play at cold start up, heavy/wide open throttle (about 75% and over). During smog testing, the O2 sensor will determine air/fuel ratio.

Kyung

Haven't smogged it yet......had a spare sticker for last year.....need to do it this year, if I ever finish my current round of upgrades. :D

No runs great, wish it had a little more bottom end. The mid to top is very good, as is the mileage. 18 mpg on flat ground with the A/C on doing 70-75.

CRASH said:
No runs great, wish it had a little more bottom end. The mid to top is very good, as is the mileage. 18 mpg on flat ground with the A/C on doing 70-75.

Mine lacks a little on the bottom end torque as well, comes alive about 3K though. I think alot of it is the fact the we are using the 258 Rod. I think a 4.0L rod with a custom piston would make for a lower power band. I will build one of those some day. I have about 18K on my stroker now and am very happy with it.

BlueCuda said:
Mine lacks a little on the bottom end torque as well, comes alive about 3K though. I think alot of it is the fact the we are using the 258 Rod. I think a 4.0L rod with a custom piston would make for a lower power band. I will build one of those some day. I have about 18K on my stroker now and am very happy with it.

I'm using a 4.0 rod with a custom piston. See specs above.

Oops, missed these errors

JeepFreak21 said:
Renix block & head
~9.5:1 compression
Mopar Performance Renix ECU
258 crank
4.0 Rods
Isky 133125/26 cam
58 mm throttle body
Accurate Power custom pistons

CRASH said:
I'm using a 4.0 rod with a custom piston. See specs above.

Where does the power come on? Mine seems like its still a little lean, going to try some FMS 30lb injectors a friend of mine has and see how that works. Its a beast over 3K but possibly worse than a stock 4.0 below that.

Mine has been smogged twice and passed fine. It needed to be warmed up good, but that's pretty common. It's a 4.6L Renix, 258 crank and rods, stock pistons, the popular Crane cam (don't remember the number), 58mm throttle body, Clifford header with 2.5" exhaust, 30lb Ford injectors and stock FPR. It's 10 to 1 compression with the stock pistons, so needs premium gas.

I have the XJ Armor K&N style intake which has a CARB number and is legal to smog without the dumb hot air tube.

Oh, and the cam I'm running is supposedly a little hotter than the Isky cam, but mine pulls strong all the way through, much better than the old motor even at lower rpm's.

BlueCuda said:
Where does the power come on? Mine seems like its still a little lean, going to try some FMS 30lb injectors a friend of mine has and see how that works. Its a beast over 3K but possibly worse than a stock 4.0 below that.

Thats about how mine is too, but once the motor is warm, it likes to run a bit rich. I'm gonna put the fuel pressure back to stock (its 2 or 3 pounds over now) and get a new MAP sensor I think.

BlueCuda said:

Mine pulls like a banshee from 2800 to 6000.

Cam is installed straight up, injectors are 24 #/hr units. My widebands digital 02 sensor tells me that it is running 12.9 to 1 at WOT all the way through the power band.

I think mine is better than my old 4.0 below 3k, but I think my wife's 99 is better than both, and her's is dead-stock.

Back