• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help

jason90xj

NAXJA Forum User
need help new to being an xj owner have a 90 limited w/ ABS and have no brake fluid going to my rear brakes. Whats wrong?also just bought rubicon 4.5 lift do i need a slip yoke elemator? please help.

dizzymac said:
What TC 231/242?

The short answer is maybe/maybe not. Each individual Jeep is different. My'90 with a 3.5 had no vibes but I thought I may want to go taller so I put the SYE kit in. Mine has the 242 transfer case but I don't think that is a real big factor. I have a buddy with a '88 and he has the 231 in his didn't need a SYE at 3.5" of lift but was also fine at the 5" level without one too. So my theory is the amount of lift is a bigger factor than the transfer case because he did need it at 7" of lift.
As for your ABS problem I can't help you because neither of our Jeeps are so equipped thus I have no experience. Sorry.

As far as the rear brakes...My guess would be the proportioning valve. It's the block below the master cylinder that the brake lines go to. There is a switch in the middle that should activate the warning light on the dash. Try removing the switch, slowly push the brake pedal to center the valve then replace the switch. Other things could be the master cylinder, a clogged/crushed line, ABS pump.

i undid he brake lines from wheel drum no fluid followed the line under xj all the way up to where it goes next to fire wall still no fuid?

pokeyxj said:
As far as the rear brakes...My guess would be the proportioning valve. It's the block below the master cylinder that the brake lines go to. There is a switch in the middle that should activate the warning light on the dash. Try removing the switch, slowly push the brake pedal to center the valve then replace the switch. Other things could be the master cylinder, a clogged/crushed line, ABS pump.

thanks for the reply I think it has a newer master cylinder or at least from a junkyard also can I just remove the abs and i will try the switch at the proportioning valve

pokeyxj said:
... the proportioning valve. It's the block below the master cylinder that the brake lines go to. There is a switch in the middle that should activate the warning light on the dash. Try removing the switch, slowly push the brake pedal to center the valve then replace the switch.

I am assuming you mean reinstall the old switch, that said, what does your suggested procedure do to the PV, bleed trapped air? or purge trash out of the valve or??????

Back