NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 19th, 2006, 12:19
NAXJA Forum User

death wobble help please!

ok i have been dealin with a death wobble problem for almost a year now i have tried eerything except for changing the steering box and replacing the pittman arm. my jeep is a 1997 XJ with 3.5" of lift and 31" tires and 130,000 miles on it. now i have replaced the trackbar with a JKS adjustable trackbar and i replaced the steering stabilizer and i have had the alignment done countless times by a shop the does the alignment for the local Ferrari dealership. now in an effort to try and fix the problem i replaced my lower control arms with JKS adjutable LCAs for two reasons 1-my factory LCA bushings needed to be replaced and 2-the new ones are adjustable so i can use that to hopefully cure this problem and the retain factory bushings at both ends so i still get a good ride but they twist in the middle so i now get unlimited flex for when im out 4wheelin. so my question is should i make the LCAs shorter or longer than stock to get rid of this problem?
Old August 19th, 2006, 12:46
NAXJA Forum User

Re: death wobble help please!

hi there not sure if i can help but i have a 88 xj lifted about 6.5 and i had a bad wobble i put a bigger steering stabilizer on it and it stoped my problem maybe that will help
Old August 19th, 2006, 12:59
NAXJA Forum User

yah i replaced mine with a BDS steering stabilizer right b4 all this started and it made a difference in handling back then but it was about a year ago that i replaced it so i have ruled that out since it is so new
Old August 19th, 2006, 13:39
NAXJA Forum User

try a good tire balance and make sure your wheels are not warped, also make sure your rotors are not warped.

stabilizer can help the ride, but only masks the problem...it solves nothing
Old August 19th, 2006, 17:28
NAXJA Forum User

rotors are fine the are only about a year or less old and i checked them already, tires were just rotated and i had the rims looked at and they are fine ive had bent rims b4 that were so badly bent that they had a hard time clamping them down on the balancer and i still never got death wobble but i still had them checked and they r fine.
Old August 19th, 2006, 17:29
NAXJA Forum User

what i want to know is should i make the new JKS LCAs shorter or longer than the stock ones and by how much?
Old August 19th, 2006, 18:19
NAXJA Forum User

death wobble comes about most commonly due to caster issues ith the front axle. i would "roll it backwards" a bit and see what happens. basically, i had death wobble after my lift, got longer arms and it went away. lengthen the lca's a bit and see what happens. good thing you have adjustables. i did not!

as for how much, i do not know. depends on how much lift exactly and the rear height of your xj as well. everything affects the front.

you want the pinion at 7 degrees. measuring with a 360 degree level at the diff cover bolts. top and bottom on one side or another.

see gojeeps site , he has tips:

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

Last edited by POSXJGuy; August 19th, 2006 at 18:23.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 18:54
NAXJA Forum User

ok im so close to giving up and selling my jeep its not even funny. i mean i love my jeep more than anything but there it just that point where u gotta say its time to give up. ive got two more things i can try and if these dont do it then its bye bye XJ. the next thing im gonna try is replacing the steering box and if that dont do it then a drop pittman arm. also my rear leaf springs are sagging and i wanted to know if maybe that would have any affect on my problem. just thought i would ask
Old August 22nd, 2006, 20:48
NAXJA Forum User

your going about it all wrong. who wants a jeep that wobbles on a test ride? check to make sure your trac bar is lining the jeep up perfectly over the axle. make sure the axle mount hole is not wallowed out. be sure the frame side mount is secure as well.your forgetting other things that i could be
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...obble+thre ad
Old August 22nd, 2006, 23:43
NAXJA Forum User

Stay at it. I fought my wobble for almost 2 years before I found the culprit to be my LCAs. You will be glad you did not give up when you find the solution...you will just wish you tried that first!!!!
Old August 23rd, 2006, 17:57
Freakish Hand Strength

Information provided by Jeeps Unlimited

Curing death wobble is defiantly a reality. Death wobble isn’t similar to a wobble from an unbalanced tire. It is by far worse. When death wobble hits you will know… it’s a violent shake from the front end that feels like the Jeep is about to fall apart. Usually when it happens the only thing you can do to stop it is to slow down.

The first steps to eliminate death wobble should be a visual inspection of each component, check the bushings, tire balance and an alignment. These are some common things you must check anytime you lift your Jeep. Death wobble is experienced mostly on lifter Jeeps, however it is not uncommon for someone without a lift to experience the dreaded DW. Listed below are a few things you can check.

Check your Track Bar, play in this can cause the axle to shake.
1. Bushings - check to see that they are not worn. Looks for cracks, and excessive play)
2. Angles - this angle should be the same as your draglink. Use an angle finders you can get at sears to determine this, don’t just eye-ball it.
3. Bolts – Make sure all bolts are tightened down to spec (some lift components have a different torque spec then)

Check the Axle, your mounts may be worn
1. Check the axle mount. Here is a good write up on a wallowed out bolt hole
http://www.jeepin.com/features/trackbarfix/index.asp
2. Check your Universal joints, a binding or lose U-Joint can cause DW
3. On the frame end if you still use the conventional Tie Rod End or (TRE) make sure that there is no play in this, as play can cause DW.
4. Look/Check for worn/torn boots on ball joints/tie-rod ends.

Check your Tires
1. Out of balance tires can cause shaking in the front end, which can lead to death wobble.
2. Make sure all of your lug nuts are tight, (Sounds elementary but it happens to the best of us)

Check your Frame
1. Small cracks in the frame can cause the steering box to feel loose, Shaking from DW can only make this worse. 33’s and larger should have some form of Steering box brace, or frame brace in.
2. If you have upgraded your frame mount, make sure its cranked down nice and tight. (best to use an impact gun)
3. A busted Frame Mount can cause play in the front end causing DW (Keep a watchful eye on the welds as welds in sheer can break over time.

Make sure you have a good alignment
1. After you get an alignment done, have them print out the numbers for you. An XJ should have a 7* positive caster angle. A lifted XJ can’t always have that high of a number because the pinion would become out of alignment with the front driveshaft. Pinion angle takes precedence over caster.
2. Make you sure you go to a place that will adjust the caster if necessary (either by shims in the frame side of the LCAs, or adjustable LCAs).

The more adjustable parts the easier it is to tune in your suspension.
1. Adjustable Track Bar
2. Adjustable Upper and Lower Control Arms (upper ones above 4” of lift). Not only are they adjustable, but they are stronger.

Things to remember:
1. After any lift, get your Jeep professionally aligned, this is a REQUIREMENT, not a suggestion.
2. A Steering Stabilizer (SS) is not a quick fix for DW.
3. Make sure that the lift you purchase comes with all the required parts for a safe driving vehicle. (as long as its going to be a DD)
4. PLEASE ALWAYS DRIVE WITH YOUR FRONT SWAY BAR CONNECTED!

Entire list of everything that can cause death wobble:
-Front tires out of balance
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar end
-Needing an adjustable track bar
-Bad bushings/joints in control arms
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box looseness
-Need drop pitman arm
-Driveshaft(s) not balanced
-Bad front hub assembly

Torque specs:

Item ........................................ Ft. lbs. ................... Nm

Lug nuts (1/2 X 20 w/ 60* cone) .... 85-115 .............. 115-150
All tie rod ends .....................…..... 55 ...................….. 74
Steering (both ends) ..............…..... 55 ................….... 74
Shock absorber upper nut .............. 16 ................….... 22
Shock absorber lower nuts ............. 17 ................….... 23
UCA frame end .....................…...... 66 ..............…..... 89
UCA axle end .........................….... 55 ................….... 74
LCA frame end ......................…..... 85 ...................... 115
LCA axle end .........................….... 85 ...................... 115
Track bar frame end ..............…..... 60 .................…... 81
Track bar axle end .................….... 40 ..................…... 54
Track bar bracket bolts ..........…..... 92 ...................... 125
Track bar bracket nut .............….... 74 ....................... 100
Track bar bracket support bolts ...... 31 ....................... 42
Hub bolts (3) ............................…. 75 ....................... 102
Hub- axle bolt ..........................….. 175 ..................... 237

Alingment specs (stock):

Angle ............. Preferred ........... Range ............. Max R/L diff.

Caster ............ +7.0* ........ +5.25* to +8.5* ......... 1.25*
Camber ........... -0.25* ....... -0.75* to +0.5 ........... 1.0*
Total Toe-in .... +0.25* ....... 0* to +0.45* ............. .05*
Thrust angle .... 0* to ± 0.15*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Blanket caught in the rear liftgate latch. Now I can't open.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 18:13
NAXJA Forum User

awww, come on man, nobody loves a quitter! its the shakes and rattles that makes these xj's so lovable!

since it seems like you cant handle it, maybe take it to a dealer and ignore all our posts.

they will fix it for you and you'll probably pay more than what that xj is worth.

don;t go around buying random parts and sh*t. check around and move the front around a bit. sounds like you need to lengthen the lca's a bit, you are lucky you have adjsutable ones. most folks dont when they find all this out.
Old August 27th, 2006, 07:22
NAXJA Forum User

hey bro everybody wants u to figure it out i had to go to a la kit and replace my trac bar with a re hd trac bar mount and trac bar it fixed but it keeps coming loose so check all the nuts and bolt lock tight and torque to spec bro good luck
Old August 27th, 2006, 20:20
NAXJA Forum User

ok so a new steerin box turned front rotors and road force balanced tires and still DW but i will say this it is better and i can control it better and when it starts it only goes for a few seconds and works itself out where b4 i had to slow down or stop the car to get it to stop so we r gettin there
Old August 28th, 2006, 09:50
NAXJA Forum User

Control arm drop brackets fixed my DW.