• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing chain differences by model year ?

CaliGold

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking at getting a cloyes (non-dbl roller) timing set for my 97 4.0 and noticed there were differences in part numbers for different years.

The early 87-94? is p/n C-3085 (48 link chain)
The late 95?-99? is p/n C-3041 (64 link chain)

I ask this question because the early 48 link chain is 7 bucks cheaper, and I assume the 48 link chain will have bigger links for strengh. If this is the case, I might as well get the early 48 link chain if everything else fits properly.

Any past experience or thoughts?

Looking at the FSM for 96 models, a 48 pin chain is the correct one.
The only thing I find different is the sprocket thickness,with 94 and up being thicker.
Wayne

I cant find the thread about that here .. but i remember something about the later model chains being beefier.
When i replaced the chain on my 90, i got a chain from a 95 at the parts place. The old chain in my 90 looked like a bike chain, the one from the 95 model was completely different. It was like multiple strips/tabs?? to make up each linked section. I think its actually called a "link" chain. Looking at a parts place online right now, it says "64 link".
So i dont see why you couldnt use the "cheaper" chain although i did read here (i wish i could find the thread) that the later one was stronger.
Honestly, i notice no difference whatesoever between the two in a running engine... but then again i didnt think i would have either. It just may last longer.

Thanks for your responses. I'm leaning towards the 48 link unless there are fitment issues.

I researched timing covers and it's the same from 93 to 01. I'm thinking it's okay to interchange these two.

I also noticed that the Cloyes dbl roller chain is the same part for the whole XJ production run.

It looks like I'm pretty safe in using the 48 link.

Yup, the standard non-roller type chains have sprockets that resemble spur gears, and the chain is more like a cogged metal belt. I believe these are called "silent" chains. I'm surprised that the one in your 90 looked like a bike chain. The OEM chain I saw once in a 91 engine was a really beefy silent chain, which is why I was inquiring about the early 48 link. Shoulda counted the links. Common sense (which I lack sometimes) tells me the 48 link is beefier. Maybe the chain was replaced?

No the chain was never replaced. I didnt mean it looked like a bike chain in the sence that it was thin and flemsy, just the way each linked section looked like an oversized bike chain. You have to also remember that i have a 90 (RENIX) in 91 is when they changed over to the HO which is alot different in the top end. Im betting they changed the chain then also.

My old one looked like this: (ignore the arrows i just grabed this from lunghd)
TimingChain.jpg

The new one i installed looked like this: (best pic i could find searching)
58555.jpg

Definetly looks stronger to me why do you think the 48 link is stronger?.. And your right it is called a "silent" chain.

Thanks for the pics. It helps a lot. I just assumed that a OEM replacement chain would be the silent link type. I figured out the difference thanks to Muad'Dib.

SINGLE ROLLER CHAIN
Cloyes p/n: C-3085 (48 link chain, early model XJ) $37 autozone.com
earlytimingchain.jpg

SILENT LINK CHAIN
Cloyes p/n: C-3041 (64 link chain, late model XJ) $44 autozone.com
latetimingchain.jpg

I will pay a few bucks extra, and go with with 64 link silent chain. There's probably a little more friction compared to a roller, but it just looks more robust to me with more plates per pin than the single roller which as you said is similar to a bike chain with only 2 plates per link. The 64 link (small bottom pic in above post) is the chain I saw in the 91.

Thanks again, Muad'Dib for helping me make the right choice.

EDIT: for pictures

Last edited:
Glad you got it all figured out, and it will be nice for future searchers to see the P/N's and the pics. Thanks for the props also.. its appreciated!

Earlier when i was searching to find a pic for the "silent" type chain, i was trying different years on NAPA's website (for some reason i didnt think of looking at autozone.com since partsamerica.com didnt have pics). I looked at a 90, 91, 92, 93, and 95. All the years except the 95 only listed the single roller chain. The 95 showed the silent chain.

Hope that also helps people.

The silent link chain that was used on '94 models upwards is stronger than the earlier chain, comes with thicker sprockets, and is also less likely to stretch with mileage.

I wanted to add additional notes to this post as on timing chains to help others like me who might be researching it.

The main thing I wanted to add are additional notes for 99+ Jeeps. As they Cam is different in the 99+ 4.0L there is a different cam sprocket. The Cloves Site has good pictures of the kits and parts.

All notes are based on Cloyes part numbers.

Year | Kit | Chain | Camshaft Sprocket | Crankshaft Sprocket
93 and earlier | C-3085 | 9-4160 | S688T | S689
94-98 | C-3041 | C385 | S808T | S809
99+ | C-3225 | C385 | S822T | S809

Kit Details
C-3041 99+
C-3225 94-98
C-3085 93 and earlier

Parts List with Links
C385 Link Quantity: 64; Pitch:3/8in; Plates: 7; Rollers:Inverted
9-4160 Link Quantity: 48; Pitch:1/2in; Rollers: Double
S808T Tooth Quantity: 48