• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tri-Xenon

urban yan

NAXJA Forum User
I've been running Bi-Xenon Projectors in my Jeep for 3 years now (HID runs in low and high
beam via an actuator in the projector that adjusts the beam pattern ). Recently I added OEM
Fit foglight projectors straight from Germany. I had them body-matched at the bodyshop so
that everything blends in properly. Just thought I'd share...

The parts: Tri-Xenon HID Retrofit:
- XP6054 Bi-Xenon Projectors
- AL Bosch Ballasts/ 5400k Osram Xenarc Bulbs
- Vestatec German Import Projector foglights
- 5000k H3C Mini HID conversion

Here are some pics of my HID kit
XP6054-01.jpg

XP6054-02.jpg

XP6054-04.jpg

XP6054-03.jpg

Here are some pics of my Projector foglights
foglamps-teaser01.jpg

foglamps-teaser02.jpg

foglamps-teaser05.jpg

foglamps-teaser06.jpg

projectors-installed5.jpg

Nov2007-01.jpg

I paid less than a grand, but that's because I tormented the guy from suvlights.com for a very long time (well before these lights were even manufactured); I think he just got tired of dealing with me, so he cut me a deal. I got the headlights and wiring harness for $500. I scored brand new ballasts/ bulbs separately on ebay for $150 (courtesy a Cadillac SRX).

He hasn't cut anyone a deal since.

I had the header panel shaved at the bodyshop; I had the signal
markers replaced with hella repeaters courtesy a Mercury Mariner.

I never liked the signal marker position in the 97+ XJ... they're just
stranded in the middle of nowhere. I prefered the headlight cluster
in the older XJs. This was my way of cleaning up the exterior while
keeping things legal.

Looks great. I always though the housings would stick way out like bug eyes, but they seem to blend pretty well. Take some more output shots!

urban yan said:
I've been running Bi-Xenon Projectors in my Jeep for 3 years now (HID runs in low and high
beam via an actuator in the projector that adjusts the beam pattern ). Recently I added OEM
Fit foglight projectors straight from Germany. I had them body-matched at the bodyshop so
that everything blends in properly. Just thought I'd share...

The parts: Tri-Xenon HID Retrofit:
- XP6054 Bi-Xenon Projectors
- AL Bosch Ballasts/ 5400k Osram Xenarc Bulbs
- Vestatec German Import Projector foglights
- 5000k H3C Mini HID conversion

Here are some pics of my HID kit
XP6054-01.jpg
Where can I get these.

97XJ Jeeper said:
Where can I get these.
I said suvlights.com sells them in post 3. I even mentioned the price.

DanMan2k06 said:
Looks great. I always though the housings would stick way out like bug eyes, but they seem to blend pretty well. Take some more output shots!
unfortunately they protrude past the header panel. It was the only way to fit a PROPER set of projectors into
the headlight without cutting into the header panel itself. Here's a pic of the design schematic.

XP6054.jpg

Well, Sorry must of read over that. Gesshh

I had allot of people email/ ask me about my HID kit, and alternative/ less costly HID options, so here's my take on low-buck HID upgrades:

1. Buy whatever set of quality headlights you like... whether they be IPF, Hella, Cibie or Autopals (great value). I don't know the specifics of which headlight is better suited for an HID kit, but I feel any quality 6054 headlight will do the trick. At this point you may want to use a standard silverstar with that headlight; afterall, it might produce enough light for your needs. However, if you find yourself with a craving for more light output than, at least, you're equipped with a good set of headlights that you can repurpose for your HID retro. Most xenon kits, like mine, use a proper projector to contain the light, but you can forego projectors/ save a ton of loot provided you:
  2. Use oem d2s/d2r bulbs. Did I mention OEM parts? Aftermarket HID kits are garbage, and ebay is full of affordable take-off kits, so don't cut corners on this part.
  3. Purchase an H4 shield.... it looks like a metal cylinder, it's roughly $25 dollars, and serves two purposes: 01) It holds that oem d2s/d2r bulb in your headlight's H4 opening. 02) It also has a cut-off shied that keeps your light contained... a poor man's cut-off if you will.
  4. At this point you must be prepared to lose your highbeams with this set-up. OEM kits only produce one beam. The term bi-xenon (high/low beam) pertains to the projector. Bi-xenon projectors contain a motorized actuator that adjusts that bulbs beam pattern.
  5. Level your beam immediately after installation... this is particularly important for the guys running lifts. Improperly installed HID kits can blind oncoming traffic; just because you want more light doesn't give you the right to blind others.

-- alternatively --
There are people that refuse to sacrifice their high beam. At this point you may want to use an aftermarket rising H4 kit (HID bulb has a siding focal point) or an H4 hi/lo kit (HID bulb has a crappy blue coated bulb welded onto the HID bulb). Obviously, I don't recommend either option because I don't recommend aftermarket HIDs. Sad to say, but I had to run an aftermarket H3C (mini HID bulb) in my projector foglights and it's been a nightmare. I had to use an aftermarket kit because rebased/oem d2s bulbs wouldn't fit my projector. The first bulb exploded in my projector, and it's replacement produced a different Kelvin. The oem bulbs/ ballasts in my main bi-xenons are onto their thrid year without issue. If I can't talk you out of an aftermarket HID kit - buy the rising H4 kit.

You can also check ebay/ google for a Sylvania Xenarc X6054 HID kit. It uses an HID low beam bulb, and it supplements the High beam with an integrated halogen silverstar. There are 2 generations of this kit floating around. The first generation kit wasn't without issue - it produced a blind spot in front or your vehicle, but that problem can be solved with an auxiliary set of Sylvania HID X1010 foglights. The first gen X6054 kit was discounted for $300 a few years back. The second generation kit is harder to find. It, supposedly, has the first gen issues resolved, and it's still sold under the Xenarc X6054 name, BUT its made by valeo. Much like my bi-xenon kit, this is the only other DOT approved/ street legal kit on the market.

I never bothered to take too many wall shots, but I have this one from last year (BEFORE my hid foglight install).
I'll take more shots in the spring when I resolve my HID bulb issue (the kelvin doesn't match the oem HID kit in
my headlights properly -- gotta love that aftermarket junk)

XP6054-15.jpg

Back