NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 15th, 2008, 06:52
NAXJA Forum User

Weird, heat related tranny issue. 01 XJ Limited

Hey everyone. Got a question that Ive been trying to find info about for about a week now. Ive searched and searched and just keep getting the same threads.

Here is what my newly aquired Xj is doing... Before I start, I havent touched it yet. I havent done a trans fluid change, or anything because the dealer told me all the fluids are fresh on all their cars. I know...its a dealer, but I did check the fluid and it looked nice, smelled nice, and seemed to be at the correct level (idling in N)

After the Jeep gets hot, and the tranny gets hot, if has a weird feeling when coming to a complete stop. What happens is, when coming to a stop, JUST before the jeep comes to a complete holt, I get this little lurch, or bump or something. Its hard to describe. Seems to only do it after I accelerate for a bit, then need to stop...not if I drift forward after stopped and brake again.

Then, SOMETIMES when I go, it will sort of lurch or bump doing take off. That happens pretty rarely though. Seems to be dependant on if im on a hill or stopped at a weird angle.

Ive read about people having somewhat similar issues, but they all seem to be different, or way more severe.

Things that I thought of was fluid, T.P.S., or torque converter. I plan to change the fluid and filter regardless of what the dealer said...as soon as I figure out which fluid to use... all the threads on that issue seem to be contradicting.

Any thoughts on this at all? As it seems to be heat related, I want to say its a fluid/trans interal issue. Solenoids getting weird at temp maybe???

As the title says its an 01 Limited, with about 87k on the clock. Well maintained and it runs and shifts great.

J.
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:04
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Weird, heat related tranny issue. 01 XJ Limited

Transmission mount...

Oh, and just use Dexron III. if you look on the drain plug of your trans pan, it says DIIe - Dexron IIe which was replaced by DexIII

some people have had success with ATF+4 and other fluids (myself, i use Amsoil TorqueDrive and i have no problems). to be safe, just use Dex III

Last edited by JNickel101; January 15th, 2008 at 07:07.
Old January 15th, 2008, 07:08
NAXJA Forum User

like JNickel101 said...check out your tranny mount...you could also try disconnecting the TCU and shift it manually to see if the problem disappears or not....
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:01
NAXJA Forum User

Ooops... forgot to mention that I thought about tranny mount as well. I havent checked it yet, its on my list. The only thing is... would that only show up when its hot? Or does the heat from the tranny cause the mount to loosen up a bit?

Ive had trans mounts go bad before...dont think my 94 ever had one. But my 87 Trans AM did. And that was VERY noticable all the time. Felt like the driveline was gonna fall out. I guess the XJ mount could be STARTING to fail... Ill def. check it though guys!

Thanks for the feedback.

J.
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:12
NAXJA Forum User

Do you have the limited slip rear end, my 96 has done that from day one.
I've also seen something simililiar in the Chrysler rear, the collapsible bushing gets loose and the pinion bearings loosen up. Check for seepage at the rear pinion seal, give the pinion yoke a slap on the side a few times and see if there happens to be any movement. If you catch it early it's really no biggy to fix.
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:38
NAXJA Forum User

Ill definetly check out the pinion situation. I did check it when I first looked at the jeep. Everything was dry, and everything felt tight.

I dont think...in fact im almost positive its not posi as Ive peg legged it a couple times already. Especially when its raining.

Ill add checking the pinion shaft real good to my list of "checks" for later. Thanks for the suggestion!

J.
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:18
NAXJA Forum User

This might sound kind of stupid but if you have the AC or Defrost on the AC compressor will cycle on and when that happens the computer will raise the idle to compensate for the exra load of the AC compressor. On my 2000 sometimes it causes the Jeep to lurch a little because it might raise the idle 100 RPM more than it needs to. Check to see if it still does it with the Defrost or A/C off and on.
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:54
NAXJA Forum User

Good suggestion. The A/C definetly isnt running though. Nothing is on (defrost/a/c). Idle seems nice and low and normal. Good idea tho!!!

J.
Old January 20th, 2008, 17:48
NAXJA Forum User

Update... Jeep is still doing it. Its still heat related.

I was under the jeep yesterday and the trans mount seemed ok. Im able to move it around alittle, but its no different than my 94 or my buddies 02 TJ. Just alittle jiggle in the rubber.

I changed the filter, and I put in new Dexron III. Now...I planned to unhook the pressure line and "flush" the fluid out. But I couldnt for the life of me get that quick disconnect fitting off. So I did a drain/refill 3 times in a row. Fluid still seems dark. So Im going to give the line another go. If I cant get it, Im cutting it the heck off, and using rubber trans cooler line in its place. What good is the quick disconnect anyway if it doesnt quickly disconnect? I was using the right tools too....

SO.... After some more testing I found something else out. If I come to a normal stop, once fully warmed up, it will lurch or "bump". When I take off, it acts normal. Feels fine. Now...if I creep up to a stop. Like slow way down very gradually, then stop, it wont do it, but as soon as I take off, it will lurch. Sort of like a very low stall converter.

Im at a loss. Im going to try to replace all the fluid or atleast as much as possible, and hope for the best. Im also going to double check all my mounts and hangers and what not. And check the bolts to the torque converter.

Other than that, I dont know. Maybe have the dealer take a look at it. Its too annoying to ignore.

J.
Old January 20th, 2008, 18:29
NAXJA Forum User

its the trans not slipping into its 'neutral' state when RPM's drop.

Happens to AW4's, change the fluid, give it a good run, then change it again, should help it, if not, then yo may be heading to the jy to source up another tranny. Its not a horrible thing, just a little annoying.
Old January 20th, 2008, 19:11
NAXJA Forum User

Yeah Im hoping once I get the fluid clean and new that it will clear itself up. I really dont feel like having to replace or rebuild the trans. I just got it. haha.

Im not sure about the "trans going to neutral when the RPMs are dropped". It doesnt feel weird otherwise. Shifts while driving are great. If I dont come to a complete stop, I never feel it. Its gotta be a complete stop. Its just weird.

J.
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:51
NAXJA Forum User

Listen very carefully and do the following:

GREASE THE REAR SLIPYOKE

It takes 10 minutes and causes weird thumping and bumping while stopping and starting. Just undo the rear u-joint straps and yank the driveshaft out. You may need to remove a clamp from the rubber bellows that seal the yoke. Take your favorite grease of choice and lube up the splines very well. If anyone has a cherokee 96+ with more then 50k you should do this TODAY.
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:17
NAXJA Forum User

I will most definetly take your advice and give it a try. Im willing to try anything within reason.

What makes it do it on the 96+ jeeps?? No other jeep has done it. Including my GF's 2000. And I still cant wrap my mind around why it only does it while hot. But...Ive seen stranger things too.

Its getting an SYE with my budget boost...so if its a re-occuring thing, it wont be for long. haha.

Ill try it man...thanks for the suggestion.

J.
Old January 21st, 2008, 12:21
NAXJA Forum User

If it feels at all like there is a bowling ball in the trunk rolling around, it is the slip yoke. If it makes a clanking noise going from FWD to reverse, it is the slip yoke. Most people don't even realize it is happing, until they grease it and it goes away.
Old January 21st, 2008, 13:02
NAXJA Forum User

This might sound dumb but one time my 89 was making a similar noise and I shifted it into and out of 4wd on the t-case and it went away. For some reason it hadn't shifted properly.