• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 switch ignition lock removal (write up)

shelbyluvv

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my new to me 88 XJ delivered and the owner lost the ignition key. Great! It was dropped right in the middle of my driveway blocking both my garage doors. Not good. Mama wants to go shopping and the POS XJ is blocking the Dragon' Wagon in the garage. Time to get busy and NOW!

For starters remove your horn cover, and steering wheel nut. Then put your steering wheel/pulley puller in place and remove the steering wheel.

000_0274.jpg

Push the black cam lock cover down and shove a screw driver in to hold it down. This is so you can get to the snap ring at the bottom of the steering wheel mount.

000_0275.jpg

Use a sharp small screw driver to get the snap ring moved into a easy to get to position.

000_0276.jpg

Once in position, use another screwdriver with a small blade to, gently pry the snap ring up while keeping it from spinning with the second screwdriver. Watch the threads on the steering column they are sharp! Ask me how I know.

000_0277.jpg

After you get the snap ring out of it's groove pull it off and set it someplace you will not lose it.

000_0278.jpg

BE CAREFUL HERE!

The cover in under pressure. Not a lot but better safe than sorry.
Apply steady FIRM pressure to the cam lock cover and remove the screwdriver and slowly release the pressure from the spring below it.

000_0279.jpg

Now you can remove the cover and see the turn signal cams.

000_0280.jpg

Remove the center and the spring below it and set them in a safe place as well.

000_0281.jpg

Remove the screw holding the turn signal arm in place and put the screw and lock place with your other parts.

000_0282.jpg

Here you can see the three screws that hold the turn signal can in place. Remove these screws and keep them seperate. They are a special thread.

000_0283.jpg

Remove the Hazard pull knob.

000_0284.jpg

Disconnect the plug on the lower right side of the steering column. It is right above the brake pedal.

000_0286.jpg

With these two parts removed you can now pull the cam up and over the steering wheel mount threads.

000_0287.jpg

Here is the bolt that holds the ignition lock in place. Use a 5/16 socket and remove it.

000_0288.jpg

Firmly grasp the ignition lock...

000_0290.jpg

And pull to the right.

000_0291.jpg

Now you have your lock out. What about getting the steering wheel to unlock or starting the Jeep until the replacement parts are procured? Mama still needs her Jeep out of the garage.

Well, me being the impatient one that I am I broke the plastic cover on the column.

The rod that controls the steering lock and ingition switch is right there. You can accomplish the next step without busting your column up. It just has to be done from under the dash.

Grab the rod and push it forward.

000_0292.jpg

Here you can see the steering wheel lock engaged (pointed thing at the top of the column)

000_0294.jpg

And here it is released.

000_0295.jpg

Reassemble everything in reverse order and you will be able to start and drive your Jeep without a key.

This is not suggested but if you are in a bind this will get you out of it rather quickly

Last edited:
big black xj said:
couldnt you have just rolled it just enough for her to get out?

This only takes about 15 minutes to do. By the time I would have pushed it against the wall and tried to weasel hers out of the garage, Austin powers style, the lock removal is just easier and faster. I had to do it either way, I still needed to change the ignition out.

Once you have the lock cylinder out , all you have to do is put a flathead screwdriver in there and turn it . You dont need to get under the collum or break the plastic to get the steering to unlock .

good write up. just went through that this morning. I went ahead and rented the lock plate to push the plate away to remove the clip though since I was at the parts store picking up the tumbler and all.

What size bolts/threads are required for the steering wheel puller. I have tried the ones that come with my puller (Lisle) and they don't seem to want to thread in easily. Are they standard or metric?

Thanks for the write-up as my new '88 lock cylinder won't turn all the way back to the "off" position.

when i bought my first XJ it was in an underground parking lot and the owner had lsot the ignition key and both door locks were buggered due to theives.

i had to replace the ignition to take it for a test drive. but i nthe end i got the jeep for $450 ;) i miss the jeep but no the rust it had..

good write-up.!

Someone needs to Sticky this!! Or put it in the tech write ups section

What does this contact assembly do? Is / was there an ink pen sized coil spring under it?
000_0290-1.jpg

jesus,this post is like a work of art!thanks man,gotta replace the canceling cam on mine,was scared to do it cause i did not know how to...after seeing youre insane detailed pics,i feel like i can take on the world!! thanks again

dave
p.s. to bad for the "im better than you" posts

Can you do mine next, i saw your finger, looks like it hurt.... Nice write up, now i can go an do mine.... HMMMM not

Again nice write up sir

Scott :wave:

I bought a lock ring compressor from the auto parts store for about $10. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to remove that snap ring.

wish i seen this write up yesterday, i would have got mine changed faster, but figured it out anyways.
mine was a little different on my 1988 there was a clip i had to push inside the colum instead of removing a 5/16 screw.
and then the parts house sold me a tumbler key set that was different then what i had, the new one will not lock in place pulls right out the lock is backwards on the new one and i checked all the other ones the parts house had and they where all backwards...but made it work anyways
*great write up on the key change* great pictures too.

88 Wagonman said:
I bought a lock ring compressor from the auto parts store for about $10. It makes it a hell of a lot easier to remove that snap ring.

Hallo. Because of the fact that such a tool isnot avaible in holland by a normal toolshop, I made my own one.
A piece of steelstrip 1x1/8. to bend in a U form 1.1/2 -2.5/8-1.1/2.
One hole in the middle 9/16. It will do the job. You have to use the steering bolt to push the ring compressor downwards. good luck:laugh:

the steering column looks different, is this the same in the '89?

(mine was broken into and they broke a drill bit off in it.)

In addition to shelbyluvv excellent DIY writeup take a look at this: http://elcaminocentral.com/article95.html
Since the older XJ's have GM steering columns in them this will guide you in repairing just about all aspects of the column. I had to get into the tilt mechanism to do a repair as my wheel was flopping around on the end of the column like a chicken without it's head and the ignition had come loose. It made a simple job out of one I was reluctant (read afraid) to attempt.

Back