NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 7th, 2007, 14:18
NAXJA Member

Roof Rack Weight and Roof Load Capacity

Hi everyone. So I have this roof rack that I bought without actually knowing the weight of it. Well I found it is a little on the heavy side at 134#. Ouch!

Well, what I want to do is to remove the factory rack rails, put in larger Nutserts, put 3/16" flat stock where the factory rails would have gone and built mounts up to the rack, keeping it low profile to the roof. This is similar to the way Farmer Matt's roof racks were done. This way I am not relying on the gutters to hold the weight. I am planning my 31" tire, Hi-Lift, shovel, lights and a few misc. items as needed to be mount on this.

Will the roof hold the weight without causing problems? Anyone know what the weight of Farmer Matt's racks so I can compare to mine? Thanks!
Old December 7th, 2007, 17:45
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Roof Rack Weight and Roof Load Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj_mike
Hi everyone. So I have this roof rack that I bought without actually knowing the weight of it. Well I found it is a little on the heavy side at 134#. Ouch!

Well, what I want to do is to remove the factory rack rails, put in larger Nutserts, put 3/16" flat stock where the factory rails would have gone and built mounts up to the rack, keeping it low profile to the roof. This is similar to the way Farmer Matt's roof racks were done. This way I am not relying on the gutters to hold the weight. I am planning my 31" tire, Hi-Lift, shovel, lights and a few misc. items as needed to be mount on this.

Will the roof hold the weight without causing problems? Anyone know what the weight of Farmer Matt's racks so I can compare to mine? Thanks!
I dunno, but my Surco mounted to the roof rails held my buddy and my 33" spare w/no problems--that's around 250 lbs. or so.
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:28
NAXJA Forum User

My racks had a shipping weight of 60# & could easily handle a 35" spare along with packing it down for a long camping trip. 3/16" for the rails might be a little overkill. Consider dropping down to 1/8" strap or lighter if you build it right...
Old December 29th, 2007, 16:26
NAXJA Member

Thanks for the info guys!