NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old November 15th, 2007, 08:20
NAXJA Forum User

Auto trans rebuild

Hi,
Iīm new here in this forum and I have a cherokee xj 1998 and iīm rebuilding the auto transmission.
My automatic transmission model is AISIN 30-43LE. I think that this model is
the same of A340E. Am I correct?

Wich brand is a good one to buy a rebuild kit?
Where i could find online?

Thank You.
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:25
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Auto trans rebuild

What? I thought that all 4.0L XJ's came with AW4's in them.
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:28
NAXJA Forum User

If you have any junkyards in Brazil, you'd be better off swapping in a used unit...
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
The AW4 may be identified as a model #30-43LE for 2wd versions and as a model #40-30LE for 4wd versions.
From http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/aw4.htm
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRountree
Thank you Josh.

My cherokee is a 4wd version, itīs possible to came with the AW4 30-43LE?

This is the same thing of A340E?
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:43
NAXJA Forum User

From that website it says your transmission is a 2wd. Did it come with 4wd, or was added later? And like Nine Mile said, it's probably cheaper to just buy a low mileage one from the junk yard. They're pretty tough transmissions but some haven't done well after a rebuild. As long as it has fluid in them the junkyard ones usually work well.
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:13
NAXJA Forum User

it's an aisin warner 4 or AW4 transmission. absolutely no doubt about that, so when you buy a rebuild kit that is what you want.

rebuilding an aw4 is almost considered dumb (no offense)..you can buy a good one to replace the entire transmission.

you cannot turn an aw4 2wd transmission into a 4wd without swapping output shafts...which would mean they had it completely apart already once. it's smarter and easier to buy a 4wd trans and drop it in if you're going from 2wd to 4wd.

as stated, if you have any junkyards or ability to get a good AW4 around where you live, do that before you rebuild it.
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:25
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcomj
it's an aisin warner 4 or AW4 transmission. absolutely no doubt about that, so when you buy a rebuild kit that is what you want.

rebuilding an aw4 is almost considered dumb (no offense)..you can buy a good one to replace the entire transmission.

you cannot turn an aw4 2wd transmission into a 4wd without swapping output shafts...which would mean they had it completely apart already once. it's smarter and easier to buy a 4wd trans and drop it in if you're going from 2wd to 4wd.

as stated, if you have any junkyards or ability to get a good AW4 around where you live, do that before you rebuild it.
My cherokee came with 4wd. In Brazil is not common to find this kind of transmission in junkyard. Itīs cheaper to rebuild.

My transmission only have the problem with the gasket kit and seals. My friction plates and steel plates are not so bad. But considering that a master kit is around US$200,00 and iīll pay US$700,00 just for the labor (mechanic), i think itīll better to change the master kit and stay with a good transmission.

Why is not a good idea to rebuild a 4wd? Because the costs in USA between a rebuild process and a used one or the quality after the rebuild?
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:39
NAXJA Member #920

Cost of junkyard replacement vs. rebuild is likely the major factor for those of us in the U.S.

There's also the fact that these transmissions don't seem to fail that often, so there's fewer dead ones to need rebuilding.

Rob
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:48
NAXJA Forum User

yeah i really only see these trans. on wrecked vehicles at smaller yards - bigger like PAP will have them on the shelf ready to go most of the time - smaller yards will pull them for ya but they are not worth as much as other engines and trans. so they spend more time on engines, other trans, etc that are worth more - man for 700 you could just about swap a 318 or 350 and turbo 300-400!
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:12
NAXJA Forum User

yep. cheaper to swap an auto in than rebuild here.

I have one with 280,000 miles on it and it's going in a low miles cherokee right now cause it has a good 200,000 miles left in it most likely, and the xj it's going in needs to be 4wd not 2wd. if it blows up, the cost now is $0 (since I already have it) so replacing it with another used one wouldn't kill me at a price of ~$200