• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Rear D44 Brakes

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I swapped in an XJ rear D44 as part of my massive buildup, and the rear drums don't fit properly. They're standard 10" x 2.5" drums/shoes, but there's a ridge on the outdoard edge of the inner (braking) surface that rides the outer edge of the shoes. Anyone else encounter this? I ground down the outer shoe metal plate even with the braking material and have begun slowly grinding down this ridge on the drums with a Makita. This seems like it should not be an issue, factory drums, factory shoes, should fit properly the first time.

Any experience with this problem?

Standard D44 brakes are 11" not 10"

One of the drums is brand new. The ridge I'm talking about is there on both of them. Is there some difference in brake width that I possibly got the wrong shoes? I'm only aware of one standard shoe size for these brakes.

D44 brakes are 2" wide vs D35 brakes being 2.5" IIRC

But the drums are different diameters. The D35 shoes are too small to nest in the D44 drums.

Quite the conundrum.

I do believe D44 is 10 x 2.5

Lip on the drum: take it to machine shop or find somewhere so they can be re-surfaced, will eliminate your fat lip

are you sure the shoes are seated correctly? I had the same issue with mine on friday. The shoe wasn't seated correctly so the drum did not fit.

XJ D44 brakes are 10x2-1/2"(I own 3 of them),the drums should not have any ridges inside(flat across from inside to outside)!
0603997-r1-052-24a.jpg

I have been running an XJ D44 for about 5 years. If you check the specs, you will find that the XJ D44 comes with 11" x 2" rear brakes. Just go to Autozone or one of the other sites and look up an 88 XJ. The D35 runs 10 x 2.5"ers.

I checked and it says 10" just like the 10" drums on my 87 XJ D44. Not sure why yours are 11". I didn't see any 11" drums offered.

napa.jpg

napa2.jpg

I've done more than a couple of these. NAPA's site isn't correct.

brakes.jpg

Old Man,could you show me where to find the 11 inch drums to fit the XJ.My 44 only has the 10x 2 1/2" drums.
Wayne

The D44 brakes are 10X2.5", the D35 (non c clip) are 10X2".
Maybe you are trying to put a pair of D35 drums over the D44 shoes.

IIRC the 11" brakes on the D44 were on the SJ,s(old Grand Wagoneers) and J20 trucks.
Wayne

I just finished swapping an 87 XJ D44 into my 89 XJ. Replaced all of the brake components except for 1 drum that was turnable. I measured the D35 brake shoes and they are definately 10" x 2". The D44 shoes are 10" x 2.5". I went to my local Napa and asked for the parts for an 87 XJ with D44 and got all of the right parts. No problems with fit.

Okay, just talked to another buddy who's Bro-In-Law did the XJ D44 swap a couple of years ago. He claims he remembers there being some issue with the brakes fitting properly and there were 2" and 2.5" shoes listed. I'll be calling NAPA at 9 a.m. and see what he has listed.

NAPA wont differentiate between D44 and D35 brakes, they'll just ask you if you want 2.5" or 2" shoes and drums. The correct answer is 2.5" for the D44.

According to my Jeep Workshop Manual, the non-c-clip 35's are 10 by 1.75, the metric ton, ie, D-44, is 10 x 2.5. I think the c-clip 35 is 9 x 2.5. FWIW, a long time ago, when this was a forum and not a club, myself and another guy measured the actual contact areas of the 10x1.75 and 9x2.5 shoes, and the 10x1.75 has 4% greater friction area. Which is why I've never understood why my braking isn't a whole lot better with the 44 back there rather than the 35.

The 11 inch drums came on CJ 44's, not XJ. Maybe you are older than me, Tom. :looney:

Fred

Back