• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake fluid?

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
:dunno: Ok was doing the once over on the Heep. I have a 94 XJ with no ABS and I popped the Master cylinder cover to check brake fluid levels. What I found confused the hell out of me. The front resevoir fluid was a milky grey color and the back looked like good DOT3. What's causing this? The levels were good and I did the standard complete brake job minus opening any lines for caliper or wheel cylinder change about 1 1/2 years now. So the system has not been bled for at least 2 years now. Is this an unsafe condition for me and the people on the road ?

Last edited:
Front reservoir = back brakes, and I'd recommend bleeding the heck out of them right now. Probably have water in the lines, and you're going to go through a lot of brake fluid to correct that.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I have the mighty-vac. Works like a charm. You are going to really have alot of fun doing this....... If you can find/strongarm some help it will speed the process up.

Sounds like water in the brake lines though.

teflon the threads of your bleeders to stop bubbles passing through them, then get and use a mityvac. They're one of those tools that that once you get one, you'll wonder how you ever lived without one.

For example, it can test any AC or cooling system part for leaks, as well as help you do ghetto diff fluid changes and it also does a mean power steering flush. Well worth the money IMO.

Back